Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Course Development

I have found that the key for a good course is simplicity paired with clear and defined learning objectives. Skill specific content is very important as well, however if the class is simply designed and clear about objectives, the content could be interchanged. Has anyone experienced developing courses outside of your specific skill set?

Michael,

Using the KISS method is good - Keep It Simple Silly. ;-) I am the Director of Online Learning and Development for my college and I help faculty develop online courses in many areas outside my area.

I am quite new at this and I find that your advice is so correct. Don't make harder than it could be. Even for the experienced keeping things still works well.

NORMA,

You'll learn a lot as you go. Learn from your experience, your peers and your students. Thanks!

Within course development I always have the end in mind. When starting the design process I will always review course objectives and then review materials that are supplied and then being to look at how else I can meet the course objectives creatively. Far t0o often I think we design courses to the text and not the learner and that just leads to dis-engaged students and loss of material knowledge that they will need moving forward in their educational career.

Martin,

Having the end in mind is good advice. I many times work backwards in the development process. Thanks.

Someone in a previous thread mentioned the KISS principle...KEEP IT SIMPLE SILLY.

Teaching in Communications field I have many overlaps of material/activities with resources. For instance, I have used some of the activities to get a point across in a Public Speaking course and also in a Health Communications course. I did not know much about the health field at the time, but I was told my audience would be nursing students and they needed a communication course.

I learned the material then incorporated proven activities into it. It was a learning experience for me and for the nursing students.

Keith,

The KISS method can be used for so many things. It's good to think carefully about your audience and getting the message across.

Sign In to comment