Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I believe that in order to create a course, you would need to know the course objectives, the learners involved and the time frame of the course. The course objectives give an idea of what needs to be covered in the course, the learner type will give you ideas on how to best present the material, and the time frame gives you an idea of how to pace the course.

Josh,

Right on. Giving students the guidance they need increases their ability to achieve the learning outcomes. Thanks for your input.

Thanks.

Gauri,

Yes, these are excellent things to consider. Thanks for your input.

Benjamin,

Right on. The learning outcomes should lead to an engaged learning environment.

Keep sharing your ideas.

Byron ,

The syllabus should lead students to understanding the learning outcomes and participating in discussions. Of the tests are also linked to the learning outcomes (which they should be), it is our goal to help students achieve the outcomes.

Lisa,

Excellent. When you tie your learning outcomes to the necessary content to cover, you are helping your students understand the course expectations.

Keep up the good work.

Three items worth focusing, in no particular order, are

1) Know what students are bringing to the table. I teach math based courses and I need to have an understanding of the average baseline so that I can create the course and provide the appropriate resources.

2) Be able to incorporate at least 2-3 presentation methods. This may be power point for concepts, excel for examples and chats to create conversation and provide practical examples.

3) Incorporate third part resources that will help to validate your lectures and examples.

I feel that when authoring an online course the three most important things to consider are:

1) Course objectives - class must be designed to provide information to support those objectives

2) Course structure – good class structure of a course helps students stay organized and should also allow for interaction of all participants (instructor-student; student-student)

3) Student demographics/educational level - knowing students educational level and background will help create appropriate materials and delivery methods

David,

Yes, getting to know your students and providing content in a variety of methods is essential. Thanks for your input.

robert,

Knowing your content, your students and how to communicate effectively with your students will result in a good online environment. Thanks for your input.

1. How will the content be delivered?
2. How will students receive the content?
3. will students be assessed in their knowledge of the content?
a. What do students know?
b. What can students do?

Mary,

Thanks for asking good questions. This helps others thing about what to ask. Good job.

When authoring my own online course I believe the 3 most important considerations are structuring content delivery so the students are actively engaged, find ways to deliver positive feedback and encouragement, utilize clear sequencing and transitions.

Joseph ,

Right on. When we engage the students in then learning process and provide them with feedback to help them improve, they will more likely achieve the learning outcomes. Nice job.

I agree fully with these three points. We as instructors have to know our target audience for EVERY other aspect to fall in to place, communication with our students is utmost. Knowing the subject is imperative to the entire outcome! Great information and ideas!

Earlene,

Thanks for your input. You are right about knowing our students. The more the better. Thanks again.

Dr. Crews,
I think the reason I like to teach is because I like to learn. The students keep me current on trends, they challenge me and teach me new things. It is a great way to learn!
Angie

Angie,

Ah - good point. I think we are the same people. :-) I learn something new every day! Keep it up.

My 3 considerations must always be:

1. What real knowledge is the student to learn and how will they really use this in life/work?

2. Who is this knowledge aimed at and how will I present the course content to cause those students to really digest it?

3. How can I get them to really search their new found knowledge to see if it has changed them in any quantitative way that they can now actually use it for what they originally needed?

I believe the most important things to consider are
1) What do I want the students to learn
2) How am I going to go about aiding them in the learning of the material in the best way
3) What text, audio, or video would be best used and in what ways
4) How can I go about setting up the course in such a way that the students can navigate easily and be able to best assimilate the information.

Sign In to comment