Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Three most important items for authoring online course:
1. Knowledge of the subject matter, an author should have some sort of knowledge on the subject if not then an expert should be involved.
2. A great template with the LMS system works wonders and helps with content delivery and creates an action plan to follow.
3. What type of student will be enrolled. An author can consider three items: the students level of learning (associates or graduate, online experience, technology competent.
Each would play an important role in how to deliver the subject matter to the student.

Kim,

Good point. . .there is a downfall in previously designed modules and course section. It's great if you can modify what is provided to you as to "tweak" that base information into what you and your students actually need.

Thanks for sharing.

Kim,

You bring up a good point. . .visual and auditory learners need to be included by adding content in those areas. Pictures, videos, etc. are essential. When students are only asked to read and respond online. . .it's hard to incorporate many learning styles.

Dr. C.

Kim,

I like the way you phrased your "top three" with questions. I would like to say that all instructors can say "yes" to all of your questions about meetin the course objectives. Variety is great.

As for the delivery methods, yes and yes!

Evaluation tools are also essential and there are varying opinions and research about the test-retest method of learning and the incorporation of a variety of questions. Critical thinking is important to think about throughout the assesssment process.

Robin,

As you point out, knowing your audience for any class or presentation is essential. This incorporated with content experts and a template in which students can find organized and pertinent information round out a great online course.

The incorporation of all details/components is essential. Thanks!

The 3 most important considerations for me;

1. Establishing course objectives – making sure we plan on what we want the students to be able to know and do after they take the course. I thought this point was a huge consideration.
2. Compiling a variety of teaching tools (aimed at different learning styles) to accomplish the objectives of the course. Variety not only meets the differing learning styles, it also reinforces the objective through repetition. These tools should also encompass evaluation for the student and instructor.
3. Design of LMS is important. This course emphasized consistency in style which I believe is a very important factor. A user-friendly approach broken in to workable “chunks” as described in this module would be a wise approach. This goes a long way toward meeting the student and being student centered.

I would additionally say the point about having an external reviewer was important.

I agree about tailoring your presentation to meet the needs of the educational level of your audience. Great point!

John,

Good point. Any suggestions or ideas you can share on how you would do this?

Thanks!

Dr Crews

In cases when an audience is working on an associate level class the level of expectations for citing sources is not as strict as the level expected for bachelor level students. Of course there is scaffolding in that you establish basic skills at an associate and build on these for bachelor level courses.

When writing tasks and assignments the focus is slightly different. This way as someone advances in school they become more prepared for rigorous academic research you would expect at a master level or above. I've also noticed more assessments/quizes at an associate level and more written papers at a bachelor level. In developing the format of the class I would want it to be appropriate for the audience.

Those are just a few ways I would build the course differently.

John

I believe that three most important things to consider are:

Structure - A course should be well structured so that it is segmented well and is sequenced in a manner that makes sense.

Navigability - A course should also have an easy to navigate interface. For example one that allows students to quickly respond to discussions instead of having to click n-times to go the discussion board. Students should also find course resources and navigate course modules easily.

Interaction with the instructor - The course should have all possible avenues of communication open between the instructor and the student. This should include integrated chat, remote session facilities etc.

John,

Knowing your audience is KEY! You are exactly right. Writing is important at all levels because you never know how "high" a student may go, but the type of writing or writing assignments will definitely vary.

Thanks for your input.

John,

An external reviewer (peer review) is an excellent topic to bring up. It is always nice to have "fresh eyes" when you are developing a course. Others can see if it seems logical and organized when you can't because you are "too close" to the course. I hope that makes sense.

Also, ask students questions as you are teaching the course. Can you find what you need? Stop - Start - Continue --> What do you want me to stopd doing? What do you want me to start doing? What do you want me to continue to do. This formative feedback is exceptionally helpful.

Thanks again.

Imroz,

Structure and organization "set the stage" for your course and help students get organized themselves. Any time a student cannot find information, a test, an assignment, etc., bring forth frustration. Frustraion is something you want to avoid.

The structure should include user-friendly navigation as you describe and allow for not only interaction with the instructor, but with each other.

Nice job. Thank you.

The three most important things to consider include

1. Determining what I want the student to know and to do
2. Developing a course framework that will facilitate learning
3. Building appropriate content to accommodate course objectives and learning styles

I believe the three most important things are:
1) Identifying the appropriate learning styles for the expected students.
2) Identifying what I need them to learn.
3) Being aware of the time restraints and workloads of the students (they have a life as well).

Once I have that completed I can begin to build a template.

-Chris

Hi Kim,

I have also run into some real issues with course cartridges and now if I had my way (unless it was really well put together) I would learn from them but not use them in full.

I think it is important to standardize the templates so that EVERY course that a student has access to will look and feel the same way.

-Chris

David,

These really do build upon each other. Determinine what you want the students to know may come more from a curriculum design element, but developing the course to facilitate that learning and meeting course objectives while providing content for a variety of learning styles is essential.

Nice job.

Chris,

Yes, you are on the right track. Read what I responded to David. You two are thinking alike, yet you added time (not restraints) but constraints!

Thank you.

I feel the three most important things to consider are:
-your students
-the core concepts to deliver
-how to evaluate the delivery

We would need to know who our students are and what information they are after as well as what we are trying to teach. Knowing what core concepts we are trying to teach throughout the class and making sure each appoach is in line with those concepts. And we may THINK we have done a wonderful job at thinking through this process - but how do we really know? How can we assess our approach?

Hi Betty! I think it would be very interesting to create my own course from beginning to end as well.

Sign In to comment