Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Sarah,
I like your point about mapping - making sure we stay focused on our objectives.

Hi Kim! I think the evaluation tools are critical too. Especially in our Online environment. I think each method you listed could be appropriate depending on the class content.

I also agree with Alysha, but I would also add in something else that I have first hand knowledge that students need, and that is feedback. so I feel the 3 most important would be:

Course Objective
Course design
Course feedback (grading, instructor notes)

I think you need to consider the education/skill set level of your students. You wouldn't provide the same materials to an Intro Marketing class as you would a Senior Level class. You need to understand the objectives of the course. By understanding the objectives you can ensure that you provide information to support those objectives and not provide non-relevant information. Again, going back to the Intro vs. Senior level example......why provide documents to an Intro class that support objectives for a Senior level. You will end up confusing your students by providing information that they won't be able to tie into their assignments/text. Organization is also critical. You need to ensure that students can easily find the information and that the location is logical. It may appear logical to you because you created it, but it might not seem logical to everyone. Organize documents in a simple structure that doesn't require a lot of thought to locate.

Sherry,

You bring up a good point. Knowing what your students already know and what they need to know is an excellent place to start. Of course, as you noted, it must be tied to the content/concepts to be taught. And, evaluating the delivery is an ongoing process and is an excellent way to continually update the course delivery to make your course the best it can be.

Nice job. Thanks!

Martin,

Good addition. These all tie together. . . you must know your course objectives (and the students must know them as well so they know what/why they are learning), the course has to be designed to enhance learning and then the feedback is key.

The feedback can be provided through self-assessment, peer assessment and through formative and summative feedback from the instructor.

Nice job! Thanks!

Rachel,

Yes, knowing what your students know (diagnostic assessment) is an excellent way to know how fast you can teach the material or what you may need to spend more time on.

Organization is key as well. When you are organized in your teaching and your course is organized, you help your students by serving as a good role model.

Nice job.

I think the 3 most important things to consider are content, variety, and student learning skills. The content must complete all objectives of the course. Variety is important so the content keeps students attention. All students learn differently, So I think it's improtant to present the material in different ways to reinforce the objectives and ensure all students understand the content.

The three most important things to consider when creating an online course are:
• What is it I want the students to learn (objectives)
• How can I best get that message across to the student (consider multiple methods – visual – audio)
• Who is the audience? If I am teaching computer security course for example, I have to ask the question; do the students have an understanding of computers? Do I have to start from scratch or do they have some basic knowledge?

I would agree, sometimes it is difficult to asses. But, there are clues along the way. How are the students doing on their assignments? Are they struggling or is it easy for them? Emails and phone calls from the students are they asking for a lot of help or none. This information will help the instructor, so they can better teach the course. It also means the instructor will have to be willing to change (flexible) and alter the material to best teach the course.

For me, I think that the 3 most important things to consider when creating either an online or a classroom course are:

1. What should the students be able to do/ know at the end of the class?

2. How will they learn this information?

3. How will they be assessed?

Gayle,

You are right on target with your list of three important things to consider. Keeping students attention online is difficult at times, so a variety of tasks plus reinforcing course outcomes/objectives is a must.

Thanks!

Chris,

Starting with the objectives is definitely the first step. Also, varying how you get the message across to the students is essential for the variety of learners you will have in the online classroom. Your third point about the audience is essential and can be done through a diagnostic survey at the beginning of the course.

Nice job.

Janelle,

You have hit on some core components. They basically are: course objectives, providing content in a variety of ways, and providing feedback through assessment (whether formative or summative).

Nice job. Thanks!

When creating an online course,I tend to consider the students learning needs first and then translate the objectives so that it makes sense for the students and the design is a part of that first. So, I guess making it audience/student centered would come first.

Hello Dr. Crews and fellow classmates,

When authoring an online class students have to know what they are going to learn and how they are going to accomplish the learning. Therefore, I believe the first order of business is that we need to have clear learning objectives and make sure that the assignmets accomplish the learning objectives. This will help the student know what they are going to learn.

To help the student accomplish the learning objectives the course must be laid out in an organized manner. It must be consistent as we have learned. We should have posted announcements and detailed instructions for each assignment.

The third important thing to consider when authoring an online couse is to have a variety of ways for the students to learn and interact with one another. The use of Discussion Boards is a good way for students to interact with one another. Videos are a good learning tool. One school I teach at even has the technology for us to hold live chats with our students.

Regards,

Brian Smiegel

Tisha,

Making any course student centered is essential. The objectives make it clear to the students what they are to achieve by the end of the course. These are essential in the design of the course. Thank you.

I believe the three most immportatn components are the objectives, the content and the delivery system.

Edward,

You are on target. Could you provide a bit more detail as to why you think they are important?

Thanks!

Also with Course design, if you are not the only one teaching the course, it will help others follow the material more easily. The Lead of the course should use course design to make sure that everyone in the department is following that design so that it is consistent for the students as well.

Sign In to comment