Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Variations of Evaluations

In looking at the different types of evaluation, which do you think would provide you with the most comprehensive feedback that would allow you to close the loop?

I don't believe there is a single type of feedback that will close the loop; however, I believe student interviews are probably the most comprehensive. This way students can give a different perspective from the advisor and provide feedback to improve the course in a variety of ways, from delivery to syllabus to overall learning.

Elizabeth,

I agree that varied types of feedback are important and obtaining specific feedback from students is especially helpful.

Peer feedback is a way to engage the learners and allow students to learn from each other. Developing the ability to self-evaluate is equally important.

Thanks!

Dr. Crews

As this forum points out, all types of evaluation are important. However, I agree with both you and Elizabeth that interviews with students and peers are the most comprehenisve feedback. In the interview process, individuals take into account the other forms of evaluation as they respond.

Rebecca,

Thank you for your input. You continue to highlight the importance of all types of evalutions, but indicate your utmost preference.

I feel all methods of evaluation are necessary and important. Student feedback is an essential ingredient in a course evaluation.
But for me peer review is a very important component. When several instructors teach the same course each one brings their own unique perspective to it. Having all of them give input on the course evaluation gives insight from several differnt sources and can provide valuable information for revising the course, or at least open a dialog within the community of instructors.

Betty,

Ah ha. You are looking at peer evaluation as YOUR peers giving you feedback, but what about peer evaluation as students giving feedback to THEIR peers?

Elizabeth -

I would agree with you - that there may not be a single type of feedback that will close the loop. I also agree with your assessment that the student interview is most comprehensive. It offers opportunity for open ended questions and responses from the interviewer that may generate additional information.

Thanks for sharing!

Toni Bond

Toni,

You hit the nail on the head when you noted that responses during the interviews will generate additional information. Students appreciate an opportunity to add to the learning process.

Thank you.

Knowing that it takes many different types of evaluation to get a clearer picture of a course, I would have to say that I favor the group interview idea or focus group. I know that when I have worked on projects with a group, someone comes up with a thought or idea that is often greatly expanded on or taken in a new direction by other members of the group. What comes out in the end is not what any one person contributed but an idea formed by group synergy. Debate and discussion refine those seedlings into full bloom. It is a wonderful process to observe and take part in because in the end the final ideas are taken to a much higher level through group interaction.

Billie,

Thanks for you input. Developing group synergy is a skill that you have obviously developed over the years. You are right that when group members get together and communicate effectively, the group as a whole can produce a much better product.

Thanks for all of your contributions in this course.

Dr. Crews:

I really like the Interview concept and allowing the students to be apart of the review/evaluation process.

I also believe that it is very important for an instructor to also review the course before a new quarter starts to make sure that all changes from the prior quarter have been implemented and that all issues have been addressed. Something that "worked" last quarter might not work in the current quarter and the instructor should search for ways to make sure that student learning is taking place in the classroom each quarter.

Kim

Hi Betty:

I agree that when multiple instructors are teaching the same course that each instructor should review the course and any recommended changes should be made together as a group.

I think the use of peer review adds collaboration amongst team members.

Kim

Hi Elizabeth:

I also agree that using multiple types of feedback to "close the loop" is important as various data methods are needed to receive an overall picture of the course review process.

Kim

Good point, Kim.

The ability to examine your work with as objective of an eye as you can is important. As an instructor I need to aim for continuous improvement in the dynamic world of online learning. I need to include my observations in to closing the loop.

John

I thought all the sources of closing the loop were important. I think that assessments are important as well although they have not been mentioned in our discussion yet. If (after a major course revision) students are receiving horrible grades and providing negative feedback it may indeed be the instrument itself that needs further modification.

Using more than one feedback is best.
Include the student with interviews and grades.
Include a peer with interview and assessment.
Link it back to the subject matter and industry

John,

You are correct. I review tests and quizzes each time I give them. If many students miss a questions, I post the question and answers choices and ask students to discuss through a discussion formun/discussion board, which answer is correct. If they can defend their choice and by defending their choice another answer may be correct, I give them the credit. Then, I make sure I reword the question/answers better the next time if I use the same question at some point again.

Thanks!

Robin,

Can you elaborate on why you think these things would help you close the loop?

Thanks!

Dr. Crews,

While there is not a single method of feedback that closes the loop I still believe that the best one, and the one least used, is the student interview. I have always believed that by talking informally to students you can find out the most. When asked by someone they trust students are thrilled to share information and make suggestions. I think it is not used frequently enough because many are afraid of what the students will say. It seems to be much easier to use a standardized survey in which the evaluator has some control of the responses.

I really like the point made in this module that the evaluation is a constant cycle that never ends, and I agree that it should use all possible tools.

-Chris

Sign In to comment