Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Sometimes it is challenging to engage students in online discussion. I use rubrics. For grading, I also use a feature in Blackboard where I recreate and tailor my rubrics in Blackboard so that I can use them when grading an assignment. This way, I can use the rubric and provide comments/feedback per item. The student always knows what is expected as listed in the rubric in the GradeCenter.
Lealan

I don't think there is one "best" way...I believe that multiple measures always provide the most comprehensive evaluation.

Stephanie,

Right on. The more ways we evaluate, the more we learn. So, we have to try to see the value in diversity of evaluation. Good point.

Lealan,

Thanks for providing some information about how you use rubrics. They benefit both the instructor and students. Keep up the good work.

For me student evaluations are used the most and I this is the opportunity for the students to give me feedback as I have done for them during the course. I appreciate the feedback and look at it as constructive criticism.

Lori,

You are looking at their feedback correctly. It's is feedback (just as we give our students) - feedback to improve. Thanks for your input.

I think the most important thing to remember is that revision must be ongoing and varied, so there is no one best way to close the loop. Self-evaluation is important, but limited. Peer evaluation is beneficial because other online instructors have experience to offer in regard to course development. Yet student feedback is paramount since they are the audience. When all pieces work together, and the revision process is cyclical, the course is on its way to effectively delivering the content.

Justine,

Right on! You are on target. Teaching and learning is an ongoing process as well as evaluation/assessment and revisions. Thanks for continuing the process.

I think my students will provide me with the most comprehensive feedback in an on-line environment. The students will be able to convey if the course objectives met their expectations. Also, reviewing the grades at the end of a session will be a good indicator of what revisions should be made.

I believe it is important to make sure that you have multiple different people evaluate the module. Having just 1 person look at it, really isn't enough. In my experience having several people evaluate the better to catch and issues.

Heather

Mischel,

Students are the ones that have been involved in the process of learning in your class and should have excellent feedback.

Thanks.

Heather,

Yes, we all bring a different perspective to the review process. Keep asking for input and continue to improve your courses. Thanks!

Evaluation by its nature should include multiple levels or views. The process needs to be qualitative and quantitative. The quantitative is easiest to understand and is the most actionable. But the feedback from students during interviews and other assessments can provide the best source of improvements. If the Instructor is able to understand what the student is saying and how to make creative changes that will impact the course favorably.

LE,

Yes, we learn more from evaluations at multiple levels as you describe. Quantitative and qualitative data give us more of a well-rounded understanding. Thanks for your input.

I think that peer evaluation, by an instructor of equal parity, would be the most valuable.

KEVIN,

A variety is good. We want feedback from all stakeholders. They all provide different insights into the course.

Feedback from students is most comprehensive because it gives a clue as to what they are thinking about the course and if they learned what they were supposed to. Negative feedback from students typically means they did not understand.

Lisa,

The students do have a different perspective than others as they have gone through the class, but don't discount he feedback from peers. They have different insights. Thanks!

The type of evaluation that would most benefit closing the loop would be the student evaluations. They are the ones experiencing the course, instructor and resouces and can give the best evaluation on the needs of the course and curriculum.

Lisa,

Student evaluations give us much information pertaining to the way the course was run, learning that occurred, etc. This is important feedback to help us improve as teachers.

Sign In to comment