Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Syllabus

Does the content match the syllabus?

The most important aspect is to confirm that what we want to teach is relevant to a students' future. Combined with their ability to perform in the work force.

Beth,

Relevance is essential. When students understand how it applies to "real life" or their work environment, it is more meaningful.

Thanks for you input.

Relevance is essential. But how do you make it relevant across a range of ecoomic status? My students come from a wide variety of backgrounds.

Dennis,

Great question. All students are different no matter what age, economic status, background, erc. Many times the relevance come wtih the projects/assignments. Students must know what is expected of them through the syllabus, course objectives/learning outcomes, rubric, etc.

However, each student does not have to take the content learned and produce the same output. For example, once you explain what is expected stuents may make a PowerPoint presentation, develop a blog, work as a group to develop a wiki, or whatever. This allows them to take the content learned or content they already know and make it real to their situation.

Hope this helps.

It's pertinent that the content matches the syllabus in the sense that learning objectives should be covered all throughout.

Eva,

Yes, correct. There must be a match between the content, learning outcomes/objectives, syllabus, etc. This should also be emphasized in the rubrics you use within the course.

And, communcating this all effectively is key to students' learning.

Thank you.

I always make sure to put a disclaimer in my syllabi that it is "subject to change." If a change is made, I update the syllabus and pass out the revised version in class, as well as in an email.

Christine,

I list "tentative course outline" on my syllabus. It's important to communicate that fact. Revised versions of the syllabus are important.

Thanks!

I believe that is correct! I think we do need to set a standard for education to produce a well rounded and professional student. This should relate to work and career but also to be enhanced academically. I think we are giving students a dis-service if they only receive information thats makes them a better worker...they should be better people, learners, thinkers and professionals when they leave an academic institution.

Emily,

Right on! Helping students see the big picture and becoming a better citizen and professional is essential.

I like your attitude! Thanks!

Beth, I really like your philosophy that what we teach should be relevant to the student's future! I teach in a vocational/technical post-secondary school. Our students are preparing for a career in a specific field. Our syllabus MUST be relevant to their future. In evaluating the course, then, we need to look at the syllabus to be sure that the objectives are still meaningful and then be sure that the lessons meet those objectives. One way to do this is to meet with peers (other instructors) to review the subject content. Another person in this discussion thread mentioned that we should also try to remember that we are helping these students become the best PEOPLE they can be; we call that professionalism in our school and we continually emphasize that, as we teach them the information they need to succeed in their careers.

Susan,

Thanks for adding to Beth's posting. It's essential for online instructors to develop these connections.

It sounds like you are invested in creating good citizens from students in your classes. Keep up the good work.

Going over the syllabus with the student is very important from the gate. They can actually visualize and comprehend what's expected of them as students, what they will need to do to accomplish their goals and where that syllabus is going to take them as far as learning objectives.

Here's where expectations are set. The syllabus itself is a communication tool to the student what is expected of them and what they will get in return to help them along the path to success regarding the objectives of the course and specific goal they might have in mind.

After reading a dynamic syllabus (or any sullabus)in black-and-white print, a student also realizes whether he is headed in the right direction or not -- chose the right field. He or she might conclude that the course is too comprehensive, not comprehensive enough or is not relevant to their goal or expectations.

Bobbe,

The syllabus is your first method of communication with the students and is very important. Some online instructors even give a quiz over the syllabus to make sure students have read the information and understand the learning outcomes. Thanks for your input.

Yes I agree with the syllabus being delivered right from the start. It sets the expectations for the class and it helps the student see what they will be learning and why it is relevant to their future careers.

Jesse,

:Jesse,

Thank you. Communication and the syllabus are is the key.

I agree the syllabus needs to match the content and tone of the class.

Nicholas,

The syllabus is the first piece of communcation, many times, the students get. It definitely sets the tone.

I would hope that the content of a course would match what is said in a syllabus. I do not believe that a syllabus should be dynamic in given term, but should be dynamic over a series of terms. If a syllabus is dynamic within a given term, then the student expectations become variable, and that is not necessarily a good thing. A student should know where he or she stands within a term. This is my opinion.

Donald,

Definitely. The content, syllabus, learning outcomes, etc. all have to match. Thanks!

Sign In to comment