Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In the previous courses, new technology assisted in those examples by providing an outlet for self-discovery and extension of concepts. The learners were encouraged to find outside resources, particularly when they engaged in their behavior modification project. Both courses have Pearson learning labs which I incorporate. Moving forward, I am looking forward to utilizing some additional features within the learning labs- asynchronous and synchronous chatting. I would like to move their journaling to a blog format; however, I am limited in that not all of my learners have access to the Internet or a computer outside of class time. I am hoping that I will be able to integrate lab time inside the course or be placed in a room with a lab. I also am looking into generating a learning space via blackboard (coursesites) or another platform such as moodle to streamline both courses since I have the same learners. This space would allow me to present more technology-driven options, house and monitor the dialogue, provide outside resources and a springboard for the learners to find them on their own, and a place to house the multimedia components of the courses.

For the hands-on exam, the tools were not "new" technology, but everyday items that my five year old daughter pulled together. Some of the items included paper clips, string, clay, strips of paper, buttons, etc. The projects were very creative. One learner who was auditory drew a face and fashioned an ear out of clay and used a paper clip and button for an earring. Another used all of the components and made a road filled with challenges she faces as a learner culminating at the end with graduation/success. The question asked them to use the materials to demonstrate their strength related to learning styles, multiple intelligences, or personality (three components we discussed) and then to explain their choice and how they see these strengths in relation to achieving success in the future.

Dr. Stacee,
Great examples! I love the tactile creativity of your projects and I have used the Pearson MyLabs in my teaching and found them very useful for accessing and evaluating prior and ongoing knowledge development. I would suggest you explore some of the new simulation programs available for those tactile students who look for manipulatives as well as fpr those less so, who may need to enhance those skills. The software would also provide a blended opportunity ...thank you for sharing your ideas!

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Thomas, I share your concerns that some of the traditional methods of learning may be eliminated. There is a need for the new technology and the traditional methods. This should be considered in designing assessments. In examining developing methods for new skills assessments, there should be attention given beyond the student’s ability to be techno-savvy. There should be attention given to the aspect that the student should be able to interpolate and extrapolate information in a holistic manner. Being able to find information on a technical device is easy; it has been mentioned in several newspaper articles of late, that schools are issuing kindergartens tablets for instruction. However, accessing information and using It in applications to solve a problem, collaborate on a project, or construct a viable design involves critical thinking and processing information. New skills assessment instruments should be designed to assess learning outcomes beyond technically accessing information.

One of the challenges in education today is getting educators to understanding that students do not learn the way they did 20 years ago. Educators are notoriously resistant to new methods, new technologies, and new concepts. Witness how many "no cell phone" policies we have in place in public schools. That only demonstrates how backwards most educators are in the way they see technology.

The new skills that today's students have with technology means that we have a variety of ways to reach students and engage them in learning without having to resort to those things that we all hated in school ourselves. We all hated standardized tests, yet we are insisting that the students of today still demonstrate their knowledge through one of the most outdated assessment models available! We can use their cell phones, tablets, laptops, and other technologies to our advantage. Why not meet our students where they live rather than force them to meet us "back in the day" when cell phones were but a fancy prop in a James Bond flick? Educators are going to have to evolve and learn to use these new technologies if we are to reach our students. To teach the skills for the 21st century, we have to get out of the 20th century.

Rebecca,

Very well said! I agree and most often teachers teach as they were taught rather than to suit the needs of the students. Also, teachers mistakenly believe that they should know everything rather than facilitate the learning process of their students. This makes things very static.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I believe instructors have to move beyond traditional testing in assessing student learning to more projects and portfolios. There are some students who develop rote knoweldge of a subject but not a deeper conceptual understanding. Therefore, they can pass a multiple choice exam but still may not know how to apply what they learned to the real-world.

learning assessment must move beyond simple recalling of facts and analysis of problems to the process of how to locate the information needed to solve problems and analyze new situations.

I find the discussions on this topic very interesting. Students learn differently so they should be assessed differently. I find that multiple choice tests can be a real challenge. I over analyze everything and so typically I chose the wrong answer. Given the opportunity to reflect back and state my learnings, I understand the material and can apply it. I usually look for tricks in multiple choices, true/false and fill in the blank and so therefore typically second guess the 'right' answer. I assume that many students are similar to me. I agree that if a learner can apply the information in a real-world situation, the learner is much better off than just being able to regurgitate information.

I think there is an issue here of critical thinking. We have to find out that the student really learned well on the typology of learning styles and Bloom's taxonomy. Mere memorization or multiple choice evaluation may not get to the heart of the matter of learning. New skills need to be developed by both instructor and demonstrated by the student. Then the learner is confident that she or he has learned and the assessment is more authentic.

New skills development for both students and instructors adds new opportunities for improved communication. Any new skills pormote alternate avenues for comprehension of concepts. Also, new skills offer alternate ways to express competency in a subject matter. Learning assessments may be enhanced due to new skills development. Instructors may develop questions outside of the traditional multiple choice, etc., which are conventionally limited. Students may provide diagrams or graphics indicating not only their comprehension and perspective, but may offer additional applications of the concepts and applications.

Suzanne

Suzanne,
Yes, so instructors need to become aware of the process and the skills used to accomplish. These skills may be new but none the less valuable.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

How these kinds of changes should affect student assessment and the recognition in terms of academic value of the skills that are being developed in the learning process? Current educational trends based on standards and tests lean towards teacher-driven instruction while the required 21st-century skills of higher-order thinking skills, application of technology, adapting to change, and workplace skills (among others) require new methods and new assessment measures. Identifying new skills here does not refer to content area as much as process; thinking, interaction, collaboration, communication, and application all represent areas of process. Each of these areas is included in any process of teaching and learning.

Hi Rebecca,

I cannot agree more with what you wrote! It is time for testing methods to evolve at the same pace as technology and learning options. It makes me wonder what sorts of new testing could be conceived for online education systems. One of my favorite types of assessment from my own years in college (on the ground rather than online) came in the form of a debate. Students had to prepare arguments on both sides of a topic that was announced in advance, but they did not know which side they would be given the day of the exam. This kept everyone on their toes, and ultimately provided an incentive to learn both sides of the argument instead of focusing on just one. Perhaps a sort of online debate system could be created? Otherwise, it would be nice to see new methods for online collaboration on projects and other assignments that encourage creativity and problem solving. These skills seem among the most important for today's workforce, confronted with a constantly evolving business environment.

Thanks,
Amy Phillips

I do believe as educators we need to continually explore methods of assessments and change how we asses according to the manner the students in a class respond to the content. I have experienced with some cohorts of students, where the students understood the content and was able to explain the meaning and apply the information to practical situations. I have also had cohorts of students who more than half were not able to grasp the same content to the same level as other cohorts.

Our program is a lock-step program that requires specific content to be covered for the students to be eligible for a national registry exam. If the students do not practice the traditional cloze and multiple choice assessments, the student will not be prepared to take the registry. In certain courses, the educator is confined to the restrictions of the program outcomes rather than be able to explore the different possibilities of assessment. Or we simply do not have the time within the timeframe of the courses to explore.

Kenya,

Just wondering if you find additional skills are being developed than even are tested as a result or impact of the technology...?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

While the topic sounds like it should be about exploring ways for the students to internalize material more effectively. I think it is more about the instructor learning new skills of engagement. If it is harder to capture attention because of technology, we as teachers need to learn to be better TEACHERS and not just professors or instructors.

Sign In to comment