Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi James,
Yes, I agree with your observations of the benefits of focusing on the learning process. In your own teaching, how can you ensure your focus remains on process over content?

One of the interesting things I have seen is that some of the things we grew up with is going out the window. Sometimes technology can hurt us. Many of todays students cannot read time on a convential clock. Minute hand? What is that? A digital timepiece can't be mistaken. Is this a bad thing? Not necessarily. Only until our generation is no longer around and there is no further need to see that type of timepiece. There are other areas where it can possibly hurt us though. Spelling, today we have spell check. Math, everyone uses calculators. Interaction with others, we have Facebook. Technology must be regulated so that we don't loose our basic human characteristics. We still must be able to work with others.

Thomas, how do you raise this kind of critical thinking about technology with your students? What is their response to this kind of questioning?

In my opinion it really creates a challenge for the instructor in time management. First, some instructors may have to learn the technology in order to be able to incorporate the new skills. That said, means adding time to lesson plan and course development which amy take away from quality of instruction.
Additionally, a lot of hiring demands of employers require certifcations, licensing, or registrations as a condition of employment. A lot of those tests measure information and content. Students may feel they have not been adequately prepared for those tests.

Additional time for planning and designing instruction is absolutely the norm when using new technology to mediate or deliver instruction. How exactly do you think students might feel inadequately prepared for tests in using new technology, Larry?

For example, observing and recording a patient's response to an injection.

New skills require learning assessments that can effectively and accurately gauge what a student is learning. Learning assessments should be tailored to the skill being taught.

So would you say that this is a challenge for teachers, Stephanie? How can teachers better prepare the kind of assessments required?

So the approach is much more integrated and technology-rich, Tim. In all it will be an holistic experience for the students so long as the teaching methods have also changed for the instructor. What specifically do you think would have to change from the more conventional methods to these you describe?

Dana,

Good points and question. Instructors must think through the learning process rather than simply filling a role. How does that translate to teaching?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Even though I try to encourage critical thinking, rote learning is still important. I teach accounting and continually tell my students that textbook methods are only one way of recording financial data. There are choices. I teach many of those choices.

Having said this, correct critical thinking can not begin until rote, basic information is learned and understood. It is important to understand that there are different ways of doing things, but it is also important to stress that accuracy is a must. Errors are not acceptable even if the methodology to get to the incorrect answer deserves some credit.

The implications of new skills development for learning assessment include finding ways for students to demonstrate their learning, using technology in the examinations, and including a standard final exam

a more broader range of student learning. more of an understanding to the class and lesson.

The implications of new skills development redirects focus away from the outcome and more towards the process of learning. It allows the student to be assessed in many different areas and takes into consideration whether the student has actually learned something.

I think this is really important. Each of our students come into our classroom at different levels and learning different ways. When we identify one thing the student must take away from the class, we overlook the important aspect of learning. One student may not take away what another student may have from the course but new skills were developed and learning new information did occur; isn't that the important thing?

I think learning assessment should be redefined to take the above into consideration.

Victoria,
Great! So, as students understand their own learning process, they will continue to learn successfully...

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Critical thinking is very important I encourage my students all the time to do the critical thinking excersises in the book its a good group project

melissa ,

Great! What kinds of activities do you encourage your students to participate in that increase critical thinking?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The new skills closely match real life. In other words, most students use social media in their everyday lives; many businesses are requiring the use of technology. As such, using technology for assessment can build these real life skills.

The implications of utilizing new skills development in learning assessments are that you develop substantial ways to evaluate the extent to which learners can apply the knowledge and skills they have learned. In this situation, you capitalize on higher order thinking skills and look beyond rote memorization. The design of the course should be one that produces learners who can think and construct as well as adapt and apply. The assessments that are given need to reflect this if we are going to measure the growth of our learners and their ability to fully understand the material in a dynamic manner.

During the first meeting with my learners, I stress that in their classes (I typically have those learners for their first two classes) I will be teaching them how to think and will be evaluating their ability to apply this material. I encourage them to tell me everything that they know, even if it seems trivial, because I am looking at how they derived their answers. I challenge them with open-ended responses that are scenario based in which they have to apply the core concepts that we are covering to situations in which they can be used to remedy a problem (i.e.- assessing a research project to determine if the results are valid), or given this situation what should this person do, etc.). I also integrate a hands-on project in one of their "exams" that has a question designed for each intelligence/learning preference. The goal is to reach each learning/intelligence preference, both as strengths and weaknesses and to demonstrate how each one can be used in practice. The discussions that we had after the assessment was handed back were valuable as many did not see how the exam was designed reflected the material we were covering. It was a big "aha" moment. They also appreciated the opportunity to "do something different" and be involved on the exam.

As we continue to improve the learning environment, it is important for everyone, learners and facilitators both, to have access to what it takes to make these changes. We must always strive to improve, especially if we are going to produce thinkers who possess the skills for 21st century.

Dr. Stacee,
Your approach is very holistic which is great! How does new technology help you in any of these examples you have described? Do you think there are other kinds of skills your students are developing as a direct result of the technology used?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Sign In to comment