Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Indeed! How then could the teacher-student F2F time become much more meaningful as a result than with conventional classtime, Phillip?

Its not always easy to find the right way to explain a subject so that everyone can understand or pickup on fast,with this addition of learning tools,we can explore more in depth and find an easy way for all to learn and most important have fun while learning the subject at hand.

So, various leanring styles as well as teaching approaches/methods can be maximized, Sidney, you're right. Overall, however, in what ways do you find the leanring richer for students as a result of new technology tools?

The biggest advantage to hybrid learning is the variety of learning opportunities for learning. By offering multiple media and methods for learning, students have a much higher chance of finding a method and learning opportunity that coincides with their learning style. From my experience, hybrid learning also has a tendency to encourage students to be more self-sufficient and independent, rather than relying on the traditional classroom with a lecturer talking to a group of students.

Great points, Jeremy. Yes, the choices increase and the teaching methods can be enriched as a result of the integrated delivery modes. How do you think a blended approach can expand the instructor's skills more specfically in teaching and learning?

I belive it will put more responsibility on the student! Most of the students I teach have been hand fed and picked up after there whole life! There educational goals are not first rate to say the least. I fell by having a hybrid learning situation we can guide students through a self motivated learning experience.

Jessie, how can a blended environment also move students beyond the "hand-fed" expectations towards learning autonomy?

Students are still guided through instruction by the teacher, but hybird or blended learning allows the student to go beyond the tradintional boundaries of learning. It allows them to do extra self exploration and research instead of relying on straight instruction. We also live in a world were students are going to school, working and possibly raising a family all at the same time. Hybrid instruction allows them to deal with all of these responsibilities on their own time line.

All great points, Afrodite. What specifically do you think is the benefit to the actual learning process using a blended design and delivery?

I do agree that blended learning does give the student the opertunity to search at their own pace and find the information in a format that works better for the individual. And of course they have the ability to seek to help of the instructor also.

Do you have examples of this specifically?

In my courses we use web baesed classes to in part basic information and then we do hands on labs after which we discuss and review the labs. I really have more interaction with students about the web courses, and most seem to pick up information there easier than through the typical lecture format.

It sounds like you blend the delivery and mediation for the students, Harry. What specifically about the web courses do you think encourages student learning more than the lecture format?

In the last section of this unit, the author stresses that hybrid or blended learning offers students opportunities to be self-directed, choose content and ways to organize that content, experience heightened interaction with the material, and to become the drivers of their own learning experiences. This learner autonomy is coupled with opportunities to share the results of the individualized learning in a face-to-face environment.

Donna, how do you think the potential for this level of dynamic learning could change the way instruction is designed and delivered?

It has the potential to transform the educational experience. By involving students in reflective and interactive experiences that are driven by the students' interests and energy, students are more likely to take responsibility for their learning. This level of responsibility would entail their having an active part in identifying the scope and delivery of the product.

Excellent points, Donna. This has huge impact on relevancy and application. This also changes the role of the instructor and the content of the course.

I know Blended Leraning format is truly an active learning process where both teacher and students are engaged in unavoidable interaction. Students are normally encouraged by their teacher to participate freely with their creative mind and compelled for more research through external resources.

Anwar
Houston, Texas

Yes, Anwar, the blend of in-class and out-of-class learning opportunities provide a great way to develop autonomous learners in our students. How can you as an instructor facilitate the process in such a way that students experience a balance of self-directed and teacher-supported learning?

In addition to retaining the face-to-face sessions with students, what other opportunity does hybrid or blended learning offer students?

Hybrid learning gives the student a better opportunity to apply their learning more effectively. Time in the classroom can be spend practicing and perfecting skills learned rather than sitting passively.

Sign In to comment