Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree that the online course should not be considered an easy out of classes. Availabilty of instructor discussion along with questions/answers should be readily available along with objectives that are to be met daily in a classroom setting. The online course is meant to bring the classroom into the home to assist students that have a time management issue. This classroom even though it is online must have classroom feel, encourage student participation and thoughtand equal depth.

I agree the look and feel of an online course is important. It goes without saying that the content is extremely important but if the content is not presented in a user friendly way it is worthless. I find power point is good as long as it has animation and is interactive. An interactive presentation is much more enjoyable for the student and enhances learning.

Yes I agree with this statement.

I have used eCollege, Blackboard and the system for AIU online courses. eCollege and Blackboard provides a better look and feel. They are easier to navigate and they provide a better knowledge and learning experience than the AIU online system.

Thanks
Fred K

Sarah

Some students have trouble taking online courses. I have taught mathematics and programming courses online. These courses are very difficult to teach. Some students have difficulty taking these types of courses.

Have you taught these type of courses??

Thanks
Fred K

Carol,
Having the same information in different sources is a great idea. This will reinforce learning and allow for different types of learning styles.

Shelly Crider

Carol,
There must be student participation. This is soft skills that are needed in the work force.

Shelly Crider

Sean ,
Good point....if it is not understandable...who will read?

Shelly Crider

Fred,
Different platforms will allow for different permissions for the instructor. You may be able to change the class a little to make it your own.

Shelly Crider

The culture of a group in an online course can provide students with the momentum they need to stay engaged in the course. I find that by being extremely active in the first few weeks of the course (answering questions quickly, etc.), students begin to feel a high level of security and comfort and start to feel free to discuss course concepts at a high level and in a more authentic manner.

The look and feel of an online course is as important as the knowledge and skills it is designed to impart. Do you agree or disagree? Explain your answer.

Yes I agree
To keep the Students focused and interested
There are lots of Visual Learners

Shelly, for online course delivery, there is the aspect of the aesthetic appeal, but the integrity of the course should be maintained. For example, an online opening page should focus on a logical arrangement of information and links, but the graphics should not be overpowering in appearance. With the increase of bandwidth and innovative software, it is possible to imbed audio, video, and animation in course design. In addition, graphics can also be used to illustrate points. However, with each of these teaching tools, the design must be considered in terms of the ease of navigation and access to the course content. The look and feel of an online course is important; however, the delivery of information, interaction, discussion, and submission portals should not be sacrificed. The design elements should facilitate students being able to fulfill the terminal course outcomes. The look of the course design should be visually appealing but not overwhelming.

Lisa,
The first three weeks are very important for the instructor to be involved as it has been researched that is when the biggest drop of students happen.

Shelly Crider

Anthonia ,
We do need to keep our students focused. Having an interactive class helps with this.

Shelly Crider

Phyllis,
This is a wonderful post as integrity is everything. If we do not teach this to the student, then how will they learn to have integrity in the work force? Great job!

Shelly Crider

I totally agree. Appearance is everything. A person wants to be able to get around an online course intuitively. It is tough enough coming up to the plate to bat. Once at the plate, you want to be able to just swing and hit the ball. In other words, it is hard enough to get yourself to school. Once there, you want to be able to navigate without any trouble or huge learning curve. Presentation is a vital part of appearance. The layout of the website needs to be comfortable, logical, and easy to understand.

I feel an online course needs to be easy to navigaet through. Being an online student before, I already found it a little intimidating to take a class online. Having a course that is easy to navigate through, made it a little easier for me.

I totally agree. When your course opens the student should feel welcome. There should be a welcome message and a brief instruction on what should be the next step for the learner. It also should be "obvious" where the student has to look for the information.

I know!!! I love it. My students have done several ppt presentations with voiceover. This was also new for them. They liked learning new things.

Aida,
Awesome!! Good to hear your students voice their opinion!!

Shelly Crider

Aida,
I like "obvious" as well! Along with a welcome, students like to know a little about their instructor!

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment