Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree with this sentiment. Since I, as the instructor, am not in front of the class, setting the tone and feel, I need to rely on the visual cues of the weblearning space. If the site look bland ans cold, then that is how students will respond to the course. If you can, cahnge the colors. Add some personal touches if possible.

Also, makes sure that everything on the site is working the way that it is suppose to--i.e. make sure that there are no broken links and that the site does not look cluttered. The clearer your site is laid out, the easier it will be for students to follow.

I'm new at this but from what I've seen in powerpoint presentations and such the better the quality of presentation definitely influences student attention and interest.

Douglas,
You can even add voice to a Powerpoint now!

Shelly Crider

I absolutely think this is true. If the on-line site itself is not visually appealing (look), and easily/intuitively navigable (feel), it will at the least be understimulating/unengaging, and at worst distracting and frustrating.

I haven't done instructional system design before, so I'm very interested to see where this course goes regarding that. However, having frequently been an on-line student before (as I am w/ this CEE program), I feel I know what right looks/feels like. As an example CEE should jettison "Maxwell Knowlton"... that use of available technology is very amaturish.

The look and feel of an online course is important due in part to the fact that if it isn't interesting or appealing to the students view, the student will not stick around or want to have anything to do with it. One of the blessings /curses of an online classroom is that it has to be appealing visually to stimulate and retain interest int he class/subject matter. That being said, if the classroom isn't visually appealing, it is not going to "feel" right to the student. These can both lead to being the difference to a student engaging in class or withdrawing altogether. I can attest to this through personal experience as a student, and as a teacher.

Amy,
Since each student is different, there are many times we have to add and take away from a course.

Shelly Crider

In order to maintain the audience, an online course has to pull in the observer, in a way that keeps attention and hunger to learn/discover more.

I agree that the look and feel of an online class is as important as the content. Courses can be designed to have the feel of a classroom by having a "home room" (home page) to post announcements, office hours, and links to the assignment list, discussion board, chat room, etc.

Communication is important and the instructor can use the tools available to engage the students in all the learning events.

Building an interactive and engagning learning experience in the online environment can be challenging. Some students say that it doesn't feel "real". We can make it feel real by discussing some of the challenges and benefits of online learning up front.

Great point aboout the visual cues of the learning space. I add personal touches where I can and it makes a difference! Adding a little color, making sure communications are upbeat and encourging helps to engage the students. I have to watch my use of the exclamation point. "Unit 4 Grades are Posted!" may not be something students are excited about.

Online training/courses are effective if their look & feel keeps the learner engaged. Adding of voice-over and/or assessment quizzes add to the overall look & feel, thus stimulating the learning.

I Agree with this statement. Technology changes, when a student chooses an online environment, they are probably choosing in part because of the technological sophistication that the University claims they can offer.

If the online environment is archaic in appearance, technologies, or structure the credibility will come into question.

I know I expect an online environment to show a modern look and feel. Example ...

I just finished another course here (another ELXXX) and was amazed that they had mostly text based screens, it crossed my mind, are they seriously wanting me to read everything, where the sound.

This course has sound, kudos!!

-- Matt

Scotty,
I love how you use "hunger".....that is just what education should be.

Shelly Crider

Sandy ,
Communication is a very important part of any online class. You must make the student feel "at home".

Shelly Crider

Andre,
You are so correct on the voice-over...students love that!

Shelly Crider

Having taught on various platforms—eCollege, Blackboard, Izio, Moodle, Angel, and a few proprietary systems—I can attest to the high importance of a virtual classroom’s “look and feel.” Asking students to take an online course in a classroom that is unwieldy, unappealing, and uninspiring is roughly akin to asking them to take a class in a physical classroom—a brick-and-mortar classroom—that has neither seats nor blackboards and is undergoing major renovations. They could probably do it, but they certainly wouldn’t enjoy it and would get far less from the experience than they should. Nonetheless, the platform is still simply the vehicle, the means by which knowledge flows. It is exceedingly important, but not so important as knowledge and skill themselves.

Mark A. Coppelli

I feel online courses are excellent. I have taken a few and feel very good about them. It opens your in a whole different way than in class.

That is true. The information is everywhere and you have to go to a site that is in the up and up.

delmera,
They can be too daunting if the class is not organized.

Shelly Crider

delmera,
Many students think all sites are trustworthy. We as instructors need to give good examples of where to look for pertinent information.

Shelly Crider

The look and feel of an online course is definitely just as important as the knowledge and skills it is designed to impart. For instance, when it is easy to navigate through an online course it is easier for the student to understand the knowledge that it presents. If an online course is not easily accessible or is difficult to navigate with simplicity, in most cases, it would discourage or disinterest the online student.

Also, adding interactive and engaging assignments allows for students to see the online course through many different views and perspectives. A community of online learners can contribute so much more to the online course by sharing experiences, thoughts and ideas with others.

In addition, audio, visuals and animations adds an upbeat feel to online courses as well. Using these different methods reach a variety of learners at the same time. For example, some students are visual learners while others are auditory. Using these different approaches for teaching online courses fosters a effective learning outcomes for all.

Sign In to comment