Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Presentation, presentation, presentation.

To grab the student's attention from to first moment is very important. That moment will define their attitude for the rest of their time with you as an instructor. Without a desire and even an excitement for a subject, the human brain turns off most of the rest of the discussion.

For a student to commit to take on the rest of the content the feel of the thing must grab their attention immediately, or they may never really progress into the subject matter with a whole-heart.

And of course experience is half the meat of true knowledge.

Students have so much experience with online environments that are easy to use, whether you are talking about FaceBook, Amazon or their online University. Providing them with a "look and feel" that is positive and engaging is therefore essential. Because they are used to quick and easy web usage, making it difficult or confusing will quickly turn them off. In addition, students who are NOT tech savvy need interfaces that look "friendly" or they may get scared and/or resistant.

Jason,
I love that!!! It is presentation! Not just what something looks like, but the tone of the presentation.

Shelly Crider

Christen,
If it is not friendly, it is scary.....pure and simple!

Shelly Crider

I agree. If the student is not confronted with an online course that features structural integrity, navigational simplicty, and intellectural interaction, he/she will be less likely to learn the knowledge and skills it is designed to impart.

I agree with this. If you present an online course that is blank and not welcoming, I think students will not be as engaged. If an online course has colourful and interactive tools to engage students, they will be more likely to interact and want to continue with a course. Online classes need to make students feel welcome since there is no face to face interaction. I also believe students benefit when there is an open and active classroom discussion.

Rudolph,
Oh so true. We as instructors must make sure the students are learning what they need to learn to be successful in the workforce.

Shelly Crider

Angela,
I would have to say that if I was looking at a class that was unappealing, I am not so sure how long I would continue to read!

Shelly Crider

I fully agree. Taking an online course can be vey intimidating. Everything about the look and feel should be simple and easy to use. Things should be structured in a way as to not confuse and or discourage a student. This is just as important as the knowledge and skills that are being taught, because if the student can not use or does not feel comfortable using the online course material, sustainable knowledge and skills on the subject being taught will not be achieved.

I fully agree. Taking an online course can be vey intimidating. Everything about the look and feel should be simple and easy to use. Things should be structured in a way as to not confuse and or discourage a student. This is just as important as the knowledge and skills that are being taught, because if the student can not use or does not feel comfortable using the online course material, sustainable knowledge and skills on the subject being taught will not be achieved.

Sonia,
Good point. If a student is spending 30 minutes trying to figure out where to go, and only 5 minutes on content, knowledge will not be transferred.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment