Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Depends on what your definition of a wizard is. I believe that the learning format can be learned if an instructor is not up to date on how to navigate an online course.

I would agree that developers of online courses need to be technological wizards. Not only are they responsible for the course material and its presentation, but they must do this in such a way that the course is professional and entertaining. This means that they need to skilled in internet functions, animation fundamentals and their creation, audio formats and uses, video formats and uses, graphic design so that is looks professional, color theory, probably html, and a whole host of other fields. Learners expect a great deal from an online course and with the absence of the personal attention that an instructor can provide it is imperative that the course be as competent as possible.

I agree. But my question is this, if we put together an online course, who gets the copyrights? The instructor or the person who put it all together for them? Or is this shared? Also, wouldn't the college have the person in the computer technology already in place? Where I have taught online, the courses were already developed. I think it would be a great experience to develop my own...just not sure where to start??

Donna,

Thanks for your thoughts - I think in the end it is also really dependent on your team (if you have one!).

Jon

Tanya,

That's right - it really helps if you've taught or at least taken online classes before so you know the "lay of the land."

Jon

Russell,

Great points on the differences between synchronous and asynchronous methods!

Jon

Michael,

Good point - its not always just "converting" what you did in the past.

Jon

Its critical to have a good support team! - Jon

Belinda,

I agree - it depends on the support from your team or other prep work that has been done.

Jon

Vicki,

Great question! It varies by institution, but with most of the classes I've been involved with, it is a "work for hire," and the institution keeps the rights to the course and its content.

A good thing to ask going into it!

Jon

John,

Well thought-out post - thanks!

Jon

I believe that a good understanding of the subject is a must for what is being discussed. How would a non automotive person explain how a car operates if they don't know or understand? How would an accountant explain how to keep books if he had never done it? How would an English instructor teach Science if he didn't have the basic knowledge of the subject matter. I believe a good starting time for Technological Expectize would begin with 5 years.

I feel the developer of an online course should be someone with very good technology skills in order to create an online course which includes all the features discussed in this class. They must work hand in hand with the Subject Matter Expert to produce a quality class.

The Subject Matter Expert knows the material and has the background and resources to know what and how to teach. And the person who will make that vision a reality in the online environment must be well qualified to utilize every feature and aspect of an online Learning Management System to produce a quality learning experience for the students.
Betty Taylor

Betty - great explanation, I agree! - Jon

I think a strong understanding of technology is a requirement; otherwise, how is the designer going to resolve problems? Designers need to think in terms of all those people who will be connected to the course: students, techies, teachers, administrators.

Jon

I would agree that online course developers do not have to be technological wizards; however, they do need some knowledge of technology. This is important for understanding how the technology will work in the course and in for the developer to be able to integrate technological aspects into the course. As others have stated, some of this can be implemented by a team if one is available.

Rebecca

Jon:

I do think that some technological expertise is needed when developing Online Courses.

I also think that knowledge of the course material is essential as well and/or assistance from the "experts" when courses are developed.

I think having some level of technological expertise is important especially with the ever-changing Course Management Systems and the ways in which our students our currently communicating should be taken into consideration when designing a course.

Kim

Developers do not have to be technological wizards but they do need to understand how the technology works.

When developing a course there needs to be a team of people who can bring various levels of expertise to the process.

For example, there needs to be a subject-matter expert, a technology expert, a person who can collaborate with the other members of team on analysis and design and a product tester.

Point well made. I agree and in my reply I noted there should be a team of people that would bring expertise in the specific areas, including a person that could be representative of the student population being served.

I agree that not all the developers of online courses need to be technological wizards, but you do need a few wizards to create the multimedia content and program the online environment. The majority of the work for an online course involves developing the content. Subject matter experts need to provide course content and learning activities, and these members of the development team wouldn’t require a high level of technical knowledge. The development of an online course requires a development team, with each member of the team contributing their area of expertise. Developing a course for a traditional classroom is more of a solitary pursuit and typically would involve less technical expertise.

Sign In to comment