Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Past, Present, and Future Methods

What activity have you created and used in the past?

My students need to learn the components of composite restorative material which involve a BIS GMA polymer matrix, a glass filler and a silane coupler. I give the students playdough for the polymer matrix in which they place quartz rocks for the glass filler. The rocks are marked with Si by the students to represent the silane coupler. It seems like a project for a kindergarten class. Anecdotally however I find that the students remember the makeup of a composite when I have them do this activity. The classes in which I do not do this activity do not remember as well.

Kathryn, it sounds very hands on, not kindergartenish at all. The more hands on approaches, the higher learner involvement creates higher memory.

Michele Deck

I have used play do as well when doing the brachial plexus. Each nerve root is a different color and as they combine to form a new nerve the new nerve mya be multiple colors

I am still too new in the classroom instructor role to try and use an actual activity. However, when I was a student, this activity stuck with me. When discussing diseases and conditions of the respiratory system, the instructor had us blow up a balloon normally, then try to blow up the balloon using a straw. This was the instructor's way of explaining what a person with COPD experiences on a daily basis. It is activities like this that really make an impact on a student.

Stacey, this is a high impact activity because once the student experiences something like this, it gives them empathy for someone living it.

Michele Deck

I have used the whole brain organizer in the past and look forward to beat the clock and draw a term. I think the key to success is you have to plan ahead and have all materials prepped. Organization is a must for these to be successful.

I have used Jeopardy and divided the class into 4 teams. I am looking forward to trying many of these new activities and encouraging other instructors to try the same

Pamela, I wish you all good results and hope you enjoy these as much as your learners will!

Michele Deck

I create crossword puzzles, word searches,and games. I also have the students create a quiz that another student will complete. They then grade the quiz they created. I give them a "100" automatically for participating. The quizzes they create are usually harder than mine. I also have them go around the room and discuss something they learned. It is a way to review as well. I also use relay races. In the future, I am going to try baseball.

Catherine, thank you for sharing your successful teaching ideas.

Michele Deck

I have created and used a pronunciation period. Its a time where we all say the word out loud several times and use it in a sentence.

Yes I do agree. Hands on is the key. People learn in different ways but hands on it seems like people grasp it faster and longer.

Equanda, creating memory is a major focus of teaching. Thank you for stressing the hands on approach.

Michele Deck

In the past I have used word searches, crossword puzzles, and group review games. The students seem to have fun while learning.

I have honestly created not one activity and as a result my students become uninterested. This is the reason I decided to take this course to try and learn anything i could to keep the class interested and make it exciting for myself and the students. The ideas are great and I look forward to trying ALL of them out.

Last module as we were finishing Fundamentals of Nursing, I created a Jeopardy-like game for my students.

I put them into groups and designated a team leader. The group could confer with the leader but only the leader could give me an answer.

I used the following categories:

1) Nursing Diagnoses
2) Medical Terminology
3) Lab Values
4) Medications
5) Name that Disease

There are five questions in each category. The selected group has a set amount of time to provide the answer. If they run out of time or don't get the correct answer, another team can "steal" the question. If they get it right, they get the points.

I kept playing until we had gone through all of the questions. The winning team received a gift card for each member.

The students seemed to really enjoy the game and everyone participated.

This is my first term teaching adult students, and these activities have given me several ideas, not only for teaching medical terminology, but for adapting these methods to the different subjects in A&P. Thank you!

I created a jeopardy game for my class to help them learn the medical terms. They loved it! They work in teams which helps the shy students in the group and still allows everyone to participate.

Christina-Rose, shy students feel safer in groups, and having a spokesperson who may not be them.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment