Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Response

What has been the response of learners when you have used activities in the past?

I have used the nerf ball quite a bit in class and it energizes the students. Everyone wants to participate. It is very useful in the middle of the afternoon when everyone is feeling a little tired from lunch.

Hi Georgeann,

It's amazing how a quick round of nerf ball can energize students. It's the little things we do that make a difference. Keep up the good work!

Hi Georgeann, do you just play ball or do the students have to answer questions, give an example, review content with the nerf ball?

this seems like a neat idea. I have also seen instructors play "Family Fued" and also "jeopardy". Once the questions are developed it makes it easier for the next go a round. I think playing these simple games breaks up the class room time. Of all the examples shown, I think I will try the nerf ball or the flip chart race. Both are great ways to reinforce what has been taught.

Thanks and good luck!

Students enjoy working together with a team approach. This is beneficial for the shy participants to access the others info.

I teach online, so I am wondering how to adapt this to the online environment.

Donna

I use as much involvement online as I possibly can, as it is the key to getting and keeping the students engaged. I sometimes run contests among the students to provide something extra online.

It sometimes relaxes the shy ones and at times end up coming out of their shell.

I use a few of these games in the classroom and I find it much more effective. If it is online crossword puzzles or word searches might be a way to go, adapt the puzzle to the online learning.
I feel the students really learn more during the games then in the lecture itself. It keeps them focused and they are learning and not realizing it!

It's amazing how teaching is not only about content, but about developing relationships as well.

Yes, Tina. Anytime we can engage them in a fun activity that teaches them something at the same time, it is a win-win situation. Thanks for your input.

They were able to learn the terminology through activities. Especially the students who have the hardest time in my class. They all enjoy and love it!

When you use different methods, you will see higher learning retention rates.

They find it refreshing and entertaining. It gets them out of there seat and energized to learn more.

Energizing students keep them actively engaged, which directly leads to their success.

I have used a variety of these games in class. Football and baseball take the longest and require more effort in creating questions. I often allow the player up to "bat" or "kick" to request a base or yardage. They like the option. I use tic tac toe a great deal because it can be done instantly as a quick game review. Students love games and it works well for review.

Allowing the player to request a base or yardage is a smart approach. You students must leave your classes feeling successful and happy!

I agree. Our textbook's companion cd has an arcade section and I've used that a few times in some lectures and the student's seem to enjoy that. I think I will start with the mystery word. It's time to give the students something different.

Sign In to comment