Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Bernabe, I'm glad you see the value in this visual method.

I use videos that are older, from the 80's and 90's that are medical procedure based. The students are quickly able to pick out the HIPAA violations, Breaks in infection control..... its amazing..... great technique to use!!!

kristine, it's nice to use older videos to stress important changes in today's approach.

Michele Deck

I love it! I actually have a game I play with my students. I have a stack of optical illusions I pass out and they have to tell me a story about what they see.The key is to try not to add anything or take anything away- just tell me what you see! It's really cool what they come up with and the stories.... what's(Right or) wrong with this picture it's a good source of looking for details.

Ranita, this is a great way to develop their observation skills, and to teach them to describe exactly what they see. This will come in handy in the job world.

Michele Deck

As a "visual" learner, I loved this concept and would like to incorporate more pictures of aspesis violations into our infection control teaching methodology.

We utilize something similar already during orientation regarding Dress Code Violations. We have an instructor model dress code violations such as visible tattoos, excessive jewelry, shoes that are out of compliance, etc.

We then invite the students to identify as many of the dress code violations as they can and the one with the most correct answers wins a prize, which is usually something they can use in school.

This is a wonderful idea that I would like to also incorporate into our teaching methodology, especially dental materials. Students would engage easily if they are the one's coming up with the wrong way to do things, instead of us always pointing them out.

Great idea! This too is an activity I will encourage our team to incorporate into infection control training.

I am enjoying learning from all of you experts out there in the field

DeeAnne, thank you for sharing your dress code violations. This sounds like a successful activity that gives you student awareness.

Michele Deck

I find using the videos then discussing with the class how they would have done the activity or why the video was incorrect is a great learning tool. They are learning to be observant to situations and to critical think problems.

Brenda, there is such a wide variety of videos for use, asking students to find mistakes is a successful strategy.

Michele Deck

Its a Great Idea! It sounds fun. Cant wait to do this in my class>

I really like this idea. I teach dental assisting and many students have a difficulty recognizing that something is missing from their tray set up or what they doing incorrectly. being able to spot these mistakes is important so they don't do them themseleves.

Sherry, this invites your learners to think critically and gets them familiar with what they will need everyday on the job.

Michele Deck

I think this is a great class room teaching strategy to cover procedures they may have covered that week in lecture. I like the PPE's portion to highlight the importance of always adhering to proper procedure to keep not only themselves safe but also their patients. I can't wait to try this in class.

Angela, after playing "what's wrong with this picture", it makes sense to play "what's right with this picture" as well.

Michele Deck

This can also be useful for Ultrasound students. It is critical that they know where to look and what to look for while scanning. One way to know this is to listen to the patient. - Find out about their symptoms and specifically where they are hurting. I really like this one for teaching observational skills.

Loretta, observational skills are critical, I agree completely. I'm glad this activity will help develop those skills.

Michele Deck

Although videos are great, I love using still pictures to identify code violations. My class seperates into groups -- with each group having a set of three different pictures. This is a great group activity!

Timothy, I love this strategy! I have used "what's wrong with this picture" to great reviews over the years.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment