Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Simulated 3D Environments

What are some ways you could incorporate a simulated 3D environment into your course curriculum?

In the culinary field you could use it to simulate setting up a cooking station or even simulating a cooking task that requires the right technique

Gilbert,

There are virtual cooking schools within Second life that do just this, and they are quite popular with users!

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

Teaching courses in various law issues, a simulated court room could be set up to participate in trials.

With teaching in the medical field, 3D simulations are great in showing and teaching about organs, organ systems and any part of the body structure. Not only is it a visual representation of the information but it helps the student visualize how the organ lies within the body in relation to other structures around it.

Heinz,

Yes, this would be a fantastic way to experience a courtroom environment that would educate as well as ease the fears of those intimidated by entering into the field. Have you found a virtual courtroom on SecondLife, and if so, do you feel it successfully emulated the courtroom environment?

Theresa Schmitt

There are many ways to incorporate 3D environment like second life especially in medical field. I remember how fascinating creating your avatar and watching how baby is being delivered in one of the community health clinic at New Zealand. It gives you a better picture of what the procedure is if you feel like you are there during the procedure itself

Maricar,

Thank you for sharing a specific instance when a 3D simulation was beneficial to you and your class. Please feel free to share links to some of your favorite simulations with the group. There are many teaching and working in the medical field on this discussion board and I am sure they would find these simulations just as fascinating as you do.

Theresa Schmitt

I teach a Speech class and many of the students are terrified of getting up in front of their classmates. Perhaps a 3D situation where they could practice and get "virtual" feedback could help. It all sounds so foreign to me.

Wendy,

If you are new to incorporating technology into the classroom I would start with Skype rather than 3D because it is more user friendly. You can perhaps assign a "warm up" presentation in which the student books a brief Skype session with you prior to in-class presentations and you can provide one on one feedback before the big day. Students could also record a video(a functionality on all smartphones) and upload it to a class portal or private YouTube channel for peer feedback in preparation of in-class presentations.

Theresa Schmitt

We have in the past used augmented reality in our drawing classes. Allowing students to draw or even sculpt something abstract. Giving them ability to see all the angles by just looking through the tablet.

Maricar, as a Health Information Technology instructor I discuss health administration (Elec Hlth Records) procedures, along with medical, allied and public health technologies (models, robots, etc.) using traditional lectures. As I reviewed the information on Second Life, I thought it would be wonderful to incorporate 3D interactive sessions as learning activities for my students. Of course I couldn't figure out how until I read your post. For example, students can have a better comprehension of the various Telemedicines with an avatar, virtual reality using Second Life for rural and other areas with little access to healthcare. Thanks!

I would love to incorporate this into my microbiology class. I am not a good artist, ask my students, but I am drawing! I draw cells and viruses and bacteria. I try to draw some of what happens within the cell, exocytosis, endocytosis, reproduction/binary fission. Oh my goodness, it is funny sometimes because my pictures look more like a smiling frog than a virus. I can just imaging to simulate this with a 3-D environment program. And I have already started looking into it, just now, after learning about it here in this course.

Simulate troubleshooting an air conditioning system followed by the repair utilizing a step by step 3D animation to show why the sequence of the troubleshooting and the effective repair are both critical.

I have not used any 3D environments but I think in nursing field, it can be used as a role play for patient teaching aspects.

This whole concept is new to me, and quite frankly, I am overwhelmed at the possibilities it could potentially open up for the students and myself as an instructor. I love the 3D idea. I could potentially build a whole hospital floor with patients and have the students be responsible for the patients' care. I definitely will be looking into this area of opportunity to see how it works and how it potentially could work for our program.

Bethanne,

Fantastic! That sounds like a great idea. Consider pulling together a team of your students and peers to assist with this endeavor. It could be a resource for multiple classes and a learning tool for years to come.

Theresa Schmitt

While a 3D environment is good for medical I would use it for my project management class. I would have them do a building project and if I can control the weather and other variables give them real life problems in building something.

Second Life has many benefits as I have found many universities that have “islands.” It can allow those with provided access with the ability to join the classroom anywhere in the world.

In the Criminal Justice field the use of projector simulators for firearms training has given way to simunitions – a paint bullet (which has graduated from the paint ball). Your imagination is the only limit in a three dimensional world (and if you have limited imagination, there are those who do for a fee). It adds an interesting dimension to the adult learning realm.

Using the technology of today can be a huge advantage in the world today, the students are so computer savvy that it should always be incorporated as a learning tool.

Sign In to comment