Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

After speaking with a colleague who works at a different school, she inspired me to consider using Second Life as a means for creating a virtual lab. In that lab, I could have the students engage in emergency treatment for patients in a variety of settings. I could probably even consider going beyond a virtual lab and creating a simulation for classroom group discussions.

I think being an instructor for cosmetology we use role-playing and many students hate to get up in front of the class. I think this would be an amazing. I have book marked to research and implement it into my classroom

I feel that this Second Life can be beneficial to our students who can understand how this site works. I for one cannot seem to open up anything in there. I for one am the student asking for help to navigate my way through there without paying out of pocket for this service.

I would love to see how this can be used in the cooking world.

For my students a 3D teaching environment would allow them to go through the motions of the job that they are training for. For example, dealing with difficult customers/patients, entering prescriptions, answering telephones, etc, which would prepare them for work in a real pharmacy.

There are many tasks that we could set up in this type of environment that would give the students an almost hands on type experience. I teach automotive and this way, they wouldn't hurt themselves or cost money if they make a mistake.

I could use to show different views of the automotive sensors and their locations in a vehicle.

Our students are required to design networks, including the physical layouts. Simulated 3D could aid in the design of networks in multi-level buildings perhaps.

We actually model 3D in our courseware when we work with Wiring Schematics. Despite the fact that the actual schematic and corresponding Component location pictures are two dimensional...we often take the learning concept to the next level and with the aid of pass around parts I have the students look at the actual items from different angles and then picture in their minds what that would correspond to in the actual images on the computer. Some times we also go to the vehicle to do the same sort of exercise but with the actual vehicle components. I will also ask them to relate to science shows on TV on in Movies where they show images in 3D. I believe it helps to broaden their understanding of the systems and also gives them sort of a glimpse of what is to come in the not too distant future.

I teach billing and coding and would love to incorporate 3-D into the curriculum so that students could have "real world" hands-on experience with phone conversations, billing companies, and professional skills. Has anybody tried this in my field?

We deal with a lot of mechanical and electrical components. We could incorporate an animated 3D environment to show both how each works separately and together.

I could show how pressure valves open normally.
Then show how it hydro locks closed.

I'm actually really excited to check out second life! I teach Mediacl Assiting and it sounds as if alot of it is geared towards medical.

It would be great to simulate looking at a wiring diagram of a vehicle, then having the student virtually find the harness, connectors and splices.

When lecturing on how to butcher an animal a 3D environment would allow for a much more realistic view of what is coming fromn where.

I would use the 3D simulation for Anatomy and pointing out the layers of muscles and bones and for labeling of structures of the human body and I would apply it to kinesiology, showing the layers of musculature on the body.

In the culinary world this application is limitless, even to the point where you wonder if they will still need an instructor. But you can show any cooking techniques, carving, butchering, platting, etc...

At my school we use "Virtual Clinical Excursions" at Pacific View Regional Hospital. The students can learn assessment of specific patients (they might not have an opportunity to interact with), documentation, medication administration, critical thinking skills, changes in condition, and learn how to make decisions for real-world problems, etc. They can apply the nursing process in a safe environment, collect and anlyze data, and practice what they are learning in theory class.

I am very interested in this but feel overwhelmed at the same time because of my lack of knowledge and experience. The idea of creating a 3D immersive experience for students in order to facilitate better and more comprehensive patient care seems so exciting and fruitful. I am just not sure how to go about it.

With a growing population of non-traditional students who either dropped out of school or have not been to school in a long time, 3D models would be very beneficial in my geometry class. I see where google earth has teamed up with a site called realworldmath.org to bring math topics to real-life.

When discussing camera placement...we could play through a 3d story and examine the different looks we create.

Sign In to comment