Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This is not always an easy task. Does the school provide the necessary training opportunities for instructors?

Not all instructors are willing to spend the time it takes to be proficient with technology in the classroom. While the technology may be good and a valuable learning tool, if the instructor does not know how to use it or simply does not use it, there is no benefit to the students.

We offer a virtual library, E-Books and bloging as well as some of the other internet options.
We have found them to be very helpful and it allows the students to access information alot quicker therefore they get there work done in a more timely way.

When staying abreast of new and emerging technologies it helps to work in your field of expertise. As a business owner my success is tied to being to date with current and emerging practices. Industry blogs, online publications and trade organizations are all important to discovery and implementation.

Constantly looking for new emerging technologies to support the learning in the classroom and get our IT department to purchase the software to support.

Turning point is one use with PPT that gives almost instant feedback on the transfer of knowledge to classroom student and allows the instructor to reinforce points that were not grasped.

http://www.turningtechnologies.com/audienceresponseproducts/pollingsoftware/?knc-google&gclid=CM2QpuzvrsACFSpp7Aod8SkAbA

In some of our courses we have allowed for laptops where as David’s response indicated it is “like having a library at your fingertips.”

As some of the other post support-- working with school, company or government intitutional policies makes it very challenging to take those emerging technologies into the classroom.

Computer literacy is an ongoing problem and familiarity with computer processes and how to often times repond to online requirements or find the course information can be trying for some students.
My experience too is the different band widths of data flow and in a course one of the students lived where there was still no cable network and was a the mercy of a “dial up” system.

Kenneth,

The ability to incorporate survey responses into a PowerPoint in a near instant is a fantastic tool for transferring knowledge! Thank you for sharing the link to this exciting product.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

Kenneth,

You bring up an excellent point regarding bandwidth. It is a challenge when teaching an online course and a student does not have the ability to stream video or load large graphic images. Thankfully this issue is not as prevalent as it was just a few years ago, but it is still a challenge for many Professors teaching in an online format.

Theresa Schmitt

As an instructor teaching computer applications, it's important for me to keep up the current software upgrades. It's also important for me to keep up with current online practices. The web is so full of information (some good, some bad) and I love to use current events and ideas in class. But, whatever I am teaching during the term, I try to use technology on a daily basis.

STaying abreast may be difficult sometimes, but I find that you also need to adapt to what resources and capabilities your institution has in place.

While I don't allow cell phone use during class I will use the internet or YouTube to enhance my lecture. Many massage therapists are visual learners so they like to "see" how things are done. It's also used during their final projects where they provide a presentation using videos or date online. We also use a study guide for our licensure exam that's online.

Michelle,

Videos are a very popular option. When they are well produced, informative and captivating, students tend to stay focused and recall information when watching a process in a step by step visual format.

Theresa Schmitt

I teach legal classes and sometimes, the legal field is a bit behind the times when it comes to implementing new technologies. I know older attorneys who will not ever send email. I guess this is not so bad since I hear that for the Millenials, emailing is out--and texting is it. :)

I have kept pace with technology by attending seminars and by keeping an open mind about the new gadgets that come out. Some years ago I got a smart phone, learned to text, and now text my students and encourage them to text me if that is a method of communication they are comfortable with. I also use an iPad and Skype regularly and recently purchased a voice recognition software program for dictation.

I believe that if you look at technology with an open mind--you can find the good things that it brings. being skeptical and cynical about it won't make the world stand still for you! Change is inevitable--so embrace as much of it as you can!

I try to stay abreast of emerging technologies by talking with my students on what they are using to communicate with friends and family. If you can keep up with what they are actually using, you can use this avenue to work with the students.

Holly,

Great post, thanks for sharing! Yes, I have noticed most Millennials do prefer texting over email. As an instructor, I find I will receive a reply within minutes when sending a text, and it may be hours or days after sending an email.

Theresa Schmitt

Technology moves relatively fast so it is very important to keep up with newly introduced technologies.

Thomas,
I use the same "resource", my students. They keep me abreast on all the newest gadgets and technologies. I go to them first, then research on my own. There are times when I go back to them if I still need clarity.
One example, when I was in the market for a new laptop, I asked the students to bring in their laptops and give me a brief demonstration of the features of their laptops. The demonstration was centered around a specific topic we were discussing in class.

James,
I am DEFINITELY considered an "old fogie" by my students. As my students get younger, it seems that I am getting older. I learn as much from them as they are learning from me.
I am hopeful after taking this course that I can teach them some new "technology".

As an IT instructor, it is important to stay on top of emerging technologies and how they are being used both in the business world and by younger learners. I hate to admit it, but I use my young daughter to see what kinds of applications the Millenials are using. Once I understand the applications and how they are being used, I brainstorm ways that they could be effectively used in the classroom. I experiment with using an item in a class to see where the bugs are and how the students react to it. I also speak with leaders in the field to see the types of applications they are using and what they need new employees to know before they walk in the door. Seeing and understanding it from both ends and then being able to incorporate it into the classroom works well. On the down side, I do see a lot of people incorporating technology in a way that is not meaningful or useful to the students or their future - but rather as a way of "showing off" something new. That is NOT a good thing.

Jennifer,

Fantastic post! As the mother of a twenty-year old son, I do the same. It is amazing how quickly they pick up on new technology! Technology should be used as a useful tool for teaching and learning, you are correct.

Theresa Schmitt

Thank you for the link to UCF, I use powerpoint as a foundation for lecture and thought I had a handle on it, but the suggestions I found were very helpful. I incorporate video and pictures and I give the students a handout of the powerpoint with blanks in key places that have to be filled in during lecture. I was glad to see I was on the right track, but I will be tweaking my powerpoint for the future.

Sign In to comment