Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Keeping up can be a daunting task because of how much information is available. You are right about forcing yourself to learn and not letting the fear of the program prevent you from understanding it.

I do the same thing, every chance I get i'm on the computer looking for new ideas.

I am fortunately involved in an educational and a professional situation which allows me to keep my hand in established industrial technology while seeing and experiencing what new tech and applications are coming up the road. The biggest consideration that any educator must keep in mind is Time. Time, like money, is spent and wasted. It is also saved and invested. Balance your use of time as an investment. Don't be distracted by the "bright, shiny ball" of technology and applications which may entertain you but may well also steer you from your discipline. Focus. Work hard and then play. You'll be giving yourself the time you need to be great!

For me, it's easy to stay abreast of emerging technologies because they surround me. I use social media and a variety of programs on a daily basis in my personal life. My challenge is remembering that not everyone (my students) may not be as interested in technology as I am. For example, one of my assignments was for them to demonstrate their knowledge of a topic by creating a video which included music, video, and photos. I told them they could use MovieMaker, ReelTime, iMovie, or whichever program they wanted. I then instructed them to upload to YouTube, Vimeo, or other site of their choice. Ooops! I didn't realize I was speaking Greek to them. Many of my students had difficulty simply putting the information in PowerPoint, with no audio.

Julia,

Your post made me laugh because I too am guilty of assigning a video-based project only to find my students lost! I think we just assume high school is preparing this new generation of learners and that is not always the case. Basic computer literacy is often overlooked in the high school curriculum and such basics as managing email and opening and converting file types is not always addressed. Most career colleges have an information literacy or introduction to computers course- I suggest faculty voice their concerns to their Chair or Dean and request advanced usage of audio and video in presentations be addressed;it is a great skill to possess, even if only used for personal reasons after graduation.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

I teach Finance & Economics online as well on ground and staying abreast of emerging technologies is very crucial to my career. Technology, as we know it, has a very rapidly changing lifespan. I keep myself updated mostly by reading about it and wherever possible by doing trial runs on demo products. It is interesting and challenging and very much a part of my career building path, because if I don't keep up with it I will soon find myself lost in an ever changing world of technology.

I agree unlimited ways to keep new information flowing on subjects we teach.

It is difficult to keep up with technology and students of the millennial generation learn it faster and quicker than older generations. Sometimes it is good to have the students themselves teach you. This can help you keep up and also is a very effective teaching technique. That can work, at least up to a point. It is also important to be aware of the latest technology and the uses of the technology so that you are not left behind. When you can find ways to incorporate things they already use and understand into the classroom, you will be able to connect with students of the 21st century much more successfully.

The school system has tablets for the students and has trained us quickly on their functions. Always looking for ways to implement into the lessons.

I like a variety of resources. Ted Talks are entertaining but sometimes a bit too general or do not address a specific student topic. For those types of gaps in my curriculum I seek out specific websites, blogs and instructionals to engage the students .

Keeping up with technology is a constant activity. Trying to get a hold of the newest devices and using them is the best way to truly learn them but, it's not always practical.

I'm blessed...my institution is wedded to staying "up" on technology and invests in the hardware, software and instructor training to make it work. I simply have to make myself available for the resources.

I try to do as much research as possible on my own. Some of he technologies out there may not even by available at my institution. Occassionally I may even empower one of my students as they may pick it up even faster thatn I do and I allow that student to be a resourse

As an instructor and person who is immersed in technology, I read blogs such as gizmodo, techcrunch and wired. I watch Bloomberg West on the latest digital business trends. A challenge in technology is disruptionl; New technologies that may render your previous platform obsolete. When we are teaching tech, using an out-of-date platform makes the entire content and concepts also seem out of date, which they may not be. So it is important for student confidence in the content that it be distributed on relevant media platforms.

I also agree and allowing students to use the technology available will further reinforce what they are learning.

One of the best ways i find is to talk to the students and find out what they are using.software and devices. their opinion means alot for buy in to new technologies. It is not all wonderful as it creator may think! some are better than others.and if it does not work right
you lost them.

Its difficult to stay up to date with new technology, but i truthfully use new outlets and other educators to discuss and see if there is a relevance to our teaching with new technology.

We are always being alerted by our company of new technologies that we should look in to. They are always scheduling updates and making sure we know how to use it. To be honest I have a 12 year old who can figure his way through any piece of elctronic. If I do not understand something I ask him.

I have to conform to the company policies so using some emerging technology is challenging.

I think that using the methods as we learned in this course are the best ways to also keep up to date as an educator in our own fields. I teach a course involving motorsports technologies and have used forums and blogs as well as manufacturer
online sources to stay up to date.

Sign In to comment