Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Experiencing that learning can be interesting and fun is a great advantage to transformative learning. In an anatomy/physiology class I have students become an organ or a system, research it and role play in a group therapy session. Other members must ask questions and give advise or just be supportive. This has been a great success and students learn way more than I expected.

Wook,
Participation is extremely important in a learning environment. Promoting that participation will aid in their development professionally as well.
Philip Campbell

The transformative learning process not only helps students learn the material but it can help them learn how to incorporate new knowledge into their existing skill set. It is important for students to be able to learn new things to stay relevant and up to date in their chosen field.

Through group and individual projects, transformative learning demands that students use information to solve problems. Rather than parrot back information without application, students are asked to assess, plan, and implement. Practicing allows the student to become competent and confident. The confidence is transformative too.

I have found the same. We have lab groups of 4 students. And I have found that students with different learning styles in the same group don't always work out best for the group. It is definitely important to pick the groups wisely.

I try to alternate their lab groups so they get to work with other students they haven't worked with before. Then I let them reform their own lab groups, I find many of them form different groups than the first day when they were allowed to form their own groups.

Jeffrey,
Great exercise. Would be interesting to identify learning styles in them before they select their group to see who they gravitate towards.
Philip Campbell

By connecting theory to practice the association elevates understanding and competency.

I teach a basic course in Algebra. Many students feel that they do not understand what a "variable" is. They also feel that they have no need to know Algebra. In addition to pointing out to them that their software uses much Algebra, I show them a 2D isometric drawing of a simple cube, using powerpoints, and by altering the "vision point" and moving the cube back and forth by flipping through several powerpoints, back and forth, they see how animation works, and how linear equations are used in real time to constantly redraw the cube in its new position, which makes it appear to be 3D, especially when it is "moving" or redrawn in another next sequential position.

This experience has many times resulted in students wanting to know more, and causes them to dig in and learn what is required to understand, and then replicate what I showed them.

First, we have to get their attention with something they always wondered about, but never dug into, and second, we have to let them know that its all just a process, and that each step towards the goal is just a simple step, that they can understand.

I often first use the example of the baby who is learning to walk, students understand that. The baby never gives up, it never thinks its too dumb or inadequate to do it, because it can see everyone else walking around them, so it just knows that it can do it too! I point out all the people around that use Algebra every day. I point out, again, how much equations and variables are used in all kinds of software, with specific examples.

Also, I often point out that when they go for a job interview, the people they talk to will be looking for someone who knows more, and can do more, than the minimum everyone who graduates knows. Talking a little, when appropriate, about some of the Algebraic details embedded in software used in the field will have a tremendous positive impact upon the people deciding to offer the job. This ALWAYS gets interested comments!

Information, then practical observation of its application, leads to student interest and then involvement and finally learning that sticks with them.

I also change the group members around as the students progress from one lab to another. It allows a different perspective to the student on how they best learn.

I believe this type of learning is helpful for the student that learns hands on. If the student is put in the role they are to take on in the future and they are allowed to put in practice what they read, it gives them a broader picture of scenarios they will be dealing with in the future

One big advantage of students using transformative learning methods, is that it takes the knowledge they learn in an acdemic setting, and applies it to "real world" experiences.

Another advantage is that it is a form of learning that changes a persons way of thinking, their behavior, and even a person's lifestyle, hopefully in a positive way.

It's not enough that we simply show our students how to accomplish a task. Teaching our students to build on the information they have and connect dots independently will set them up to continue the learning process after they leave our class.

I totally agree. I like to have students try to accomplish tasks on their own while being there if they need help.

One area I always try to reinforce with the students is to eliminate the fear. The learning is much easier. Of course with this comes confidence.

The transformative learning method allows students to not only acquire knowledge, but use that knowledge to synthesize unique solutions to problems.

Transformative learning can be incorporated in the work place environment as well as the classroom. Growth and development of employees is as important as it is for our students. Transformative learning can be utilized by the Manager "coach" to facilitate theory to practice. I see great benefits to the Manager and employee relationship being built on trust and caring.

Formation of applying oral or visual lessons to application of hands-on but also taken a step further in some cases, allows students to develop their own style above what was learned increasing their attention and retention.

Transformative learning has its Pros, but i see some challanges implementing it in certain core classes where some established facts have to be remembered. The transformative learning will be ideal for General education courses and when the content is to be covered over a period of 16 - 32 weeks. A course that has to be completed over 4-5 weeks are still better presented in a traditional way.

These methods do not just teach the students answers to questions, it teaches them how to find the answers to the questions. This is typically going to stay with them longer than just memorizing answers for a test.

Sign In to comment