Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Robert,

Providing real world information can often lead to better engagement/discussion. Good luck with your future courses.

Antoine Lewis

Can students delete anything you post or any of the assignments students post back? How secure is it from malicious students?

Jeff,

It is my understanding that a student can delete thier own post depending on the learning management system but not delete another students post.

Antoine Lewis

I teach nursing and the internet has some great tools and also can lead students in the wrong direction. For example, we had to really justify why we needed to have access to U-Tube. Our administration originally thought that we were off track. However, there are some great videos on U-tube on all kinds of nursing skills. It is easier for students to learn a skill if they can see it performed first. Using U-tube they can also replay it as many times as they need to master it. One video on U-tube that has been very helpful to me as an instructor is the set up of pressure tubing for arterial blood gas monitoring.
The internet also has its drawbacks. One of the big pitfalls that students get into is using sites that are not professional in formal papers.
The internet has many features that are helpful in education and teaching real-world skills. As instructors we need to guide students to good sites and also teach them to evaluate sites to see if they should be using them.

I agree with you that there are good and bad resources. One of the big jobs that we have is helping students to learn to evaluate sites like we do; to use discrimination to choose sites that have reputable data.

Betsy,

Technology has its good and bad. YouTube is a great tool for students to use in order to see what they are learning and will be doing out in the real world. With that said has faculty we must make sure the sources they use are reputable.

Antoine Lewis

Betsy,

I agree showing students what is a reputable source is important to their academic success.

Antoine Lewis

Bill,

I'm like Sheila. I hear terms like "cloud" and "drop box," but don't really know much about them.

I teach composition courses, and really prefer to have paper copies. That allows me to write corrections, encouragement and suggestions all over the students' work, providing very personal feedback.

On the other hand, if my use of Drop Box will get more students to submit their work in a timely manner, I'm all for it.

I'll take your suggestion and check out dropbox.com.

Thanks for the idea.

Kathleen ,

The dropbox allow you to still have a personal touch and because you to evaluate and leave your feedback for submitted assignments. You can edit your feedback if an assignment is resubmitted making it easy to keep track of submissions and files

Antoine Lewis

We use the internet in lots of places to teach with, We have web based training modules that can extend into many aspects of what the student can learn. How ever I have seen this internet access become distracting and taking time that could be used to lean.

Brandon,

The internet being a distraction is a drawback for us as faculty because technology allows us to deliver education in many ways but what I have found is some student will check facebook when they planned to complet thier coursework.

Antoine Lewis

Oh yea, facebook, youtube, nest thing you see them checking craigs list. anything but focus on what the class is about. But the benefit out weighs the loss of time. Usually a gentle push gets the student back on the right track.

Brandon,

The pros do oversee the cons and a respectful push is often needed when in the classroom.

Antoine Lewis

I use the internet for several different teaching elements in all of my classes. The internet is a must in my introduction to computers class for obvious reasons. We use MyITlab, which is a simulated software that teaches students at their own pace how to use Windows 7 or 8 and various software programs (Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.) In my Psychology class we use the internet to stream informative videos, case studies, interactive quizzes, etc. I always look for new and exciting ways to keep my students engaged and interested in learning. I have found that changing up the way I present information or topics using various tools and teaching methods in shorter intervals (15 - 20 minutes each) keeps student's engaged longer in the class. For example: I may lecture for 15 - 20 minutes, then we may watch a 10 minute video or case study. Next I may pull up a PowerPoint that I made using Clicker questions, classroom discussion topics, or some type of activity and so on. I am always open to suggestions regarding various teaching tools, but like this course suggested already, I do not utilize tools or the internet just so that I can use the most up-to-date technology or means of delivery. Most importantly, the methods I use must be conducive to student learning and participation.

Lauren,

You are using a good mix in your class to keep the students engaged. Lecture, video/audio and discussion after is always good.

Antoine Lewis

In the sciences there are many simulators that can be used to increase the students understanding in a particular area. This not only helps the visual students but also makes the classroom more interesting and the students can access the simulators at home to increase the learning. The biggest advantage is it promotes learning in a fun way and always the students to understand that the Internet has more to offer than games and Facebook.

Tabitha,

Good simulators have been more effectice than lab exercieses as it improves learning and student interest.

Antoine Lewis

Using the internet to access videos, company catalogs, and other important information about companies is very beneficial when it comes to providing information to support real world scenarios. Students this day and time rely heavily on real world information to gain valuable insigth into their future workplace.

I use the internet in many different ways. A lot of the courses that I teach deal with Cisco networking and security.

In my course we use the Cisco packet tracer tool to similate real live Cisco equipment. The students and I use the google and youtube videos to provide more references to configuring networking environments using packet tracer.

The internet also has lots of videos and news stories that provide insight about many of the security related threats that are discussed throughout the courses.

erick,

Whenever we has faculty can take the curriculum and verbally and visual share how it applies in the workplace student find value in that which often lead to better classroom engagement.

Antoine Lewis

Sign In to comment