Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Abdul,

Using technology to help you teach rather than hinder it is a prime example why blogs are good. You can share material, links and facilitate online discussions. It is a great way to get feedback and gather information so you can improve as an instructor.

Antoine Lewis

I use the internet in a variety of ways. We use youtube to actually watch surgical procedures. We also use the virtual surgery programs and my students can be the surgeon and perform surgical procedures on a virtual patient. We also get a chance to view medical ethical and unethcal situations on youtube. This helps my students with problem learning problems solving skills they may need to draw from in the future.

Barbara,

You are usinh technolgy that helps teach for the real world and prepare student for the profession they are pursing. I am sure older individuals in certian professions are being introduced to simulation/virtual surgery programs.

Antoine Lewis

I use internet for research purposes. If combined with actual textbook/magazine research it works great

tiffany,

The internet is a great tool for teachers in the 21st century. The web provides much information that was previously next to impossible to get. It has become a quick and easy place for teachers to conduct their research for lessons and find information about what they are teaching.

Antoine Lewis

Our program has a large manual technique component. We find that You Tube presentations of the techniques are very helpful in demonstrating the correct proceedures.

Brent,

YouTube is filled with video on virtually every subject. Videos can help supplement in class teaching for struggling students as students can review them at home and apply the concepts in class.

Antoine Lewis

I teach English Composition and use technology many ways. One great tool is to use the "editing" software. At times, students e-mail their word documents to other students to proofread. They also send drafts to me to proofread. Do any of you teach English and use technologies other ways?

Pearlmarie,

With plagiarism being a big problem I use plagiarism technology and offer it to the students. It is important for them to take advantage of technology when checking for spelling, plagiarism, and citing sources.

Antoine Lewis

Dropbox also accepts large file sizes which allow students to be free to submit assignments that may not otherwise be accepted in an online classroom. Some schools have a timer which stops the upload after 10 minutes.

I teach in an online environment. My lectures generally run 2 hours per week. I am always telling my students to seek additional resources outside of this 2 hour time window. I am also very cautious when telling them to do this as there are extremely good resources (ex:youtube video tutorials created by professionals with experience) and also not so good resources (ex:youtube video of an 8 year old child trying to explain something he/she recently learned)

Now sometimes the 8 year old is better in explaining things better than a professional, but usually this is not the case.

It's just a matter of using common sense... I think.. :o)

Fred,

Dropbox is a great option for instructors as it allows us to do many things —you can use it to store and sync documents and files across computers, tablets, and even smart phones. It is great that you are sharing this with files with students and allowing them to upload large files.

Antoine Lewis

Fred,

Using a dropbox is a great option for instructors to share and upload additional material as the web does have creditable and not so creditable resources.
http://plpnetwork.com/2012/08/10/dropbox-a-superb-classroom-tool/

Antoine Lewis

using the internet is a great tool since most companies are 90% Electronic medical record in the offices

sheretta ,

Yes the internet is a great tool- as it relates to the medical field your technical background has to be strong when working with software and changing technology.

Antoine Lewis

I teach a course in research methodology. The textbooks for our curriculum on this subject matter are limited. So I have the students enhance their learning by searching out scientific literatrue through EBSCO host to find current clinical research. I also have them find information on the current research through the National Instute of Health website. This website also takes them to You-tube instructional videos on research methodology as well. The students also develop a ePortfolio early on in their curriculum to reflect and support their studies. All these are wonderful teaching supplements to the traditional textbook and lecture approach. These are just a few of the many ways we incorporate the internet into our curriculum.

Brenda,

EBSCOhost has been a popular source with institutions, faculty and students. Technology in the classroom can be broad and deep. It is good to know that you have integrated technology/sources that benefit the students as it relates to that subject matter.

Antoine Lewis

I use the internet as a tool for interactive learning. Engaging students via searches and identifying real world scenarios that they can apply to the topic.

harold,

The internet expands the resources available and lowers the time dependencies that can be limiting factors in schools. It offers powerful and varied ways for students and teachers to interact. The internet is not an approach to education, but rather a tool like you mentioned that can be used with almost any educational theory.

Antoine Lewis

One wsy that I am currently using the Internet is for Project assignments where students are comparing Internet search methods/engines to determine which site returned the most accurate and reliable information available. One advantage is that it has made students sceptible of the information that they find and use in all of the class assignments; which some were not aware.

Sign In to comment