Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Aldgenette,

This is a great way to better online research skills and finding reliale internet sources.

Antoine Lewis

We currently use the internet for access to manufacturer training videos and parts catalogs. Using the web based parts catalogs saves our IT department lots of time and it gives our students experience with the programs they will use after they graduate. The internet also provides video training options if the student wishes more information.

John,

Training videos are great for retaining information and understanding concepts better. Good luck with your teaching.

Antoine Lewis

I appreciate the internet mostly as a resource. The students get to learn how to decipher legitimate sources for their research papers and how to use them and how to site them.

Larisa,

The internet is a great resource, but it is also a public forum, where anyone can make a claim or an assertion. If a student finds an article that provides relevant information for research, one should take care to investigate the source to make sure it is valid and reliable. This is an essential when teaching/learning online.

Antoine Lewis

In my department we use the internet to supplement lectures. We use interactive crime scences and virtual courtrooms to to try cases.We also show videos etc.

Heinz,

The virtual courtroom is a good way to use technology in the classroom as a teaching aid. Great teaching method to prompt discussion amongst students.

Antoine Lewis

Students are refered to some web sites to enhance their learning. During group discussions and presentations, those sites would be accessed to obtain specific information on the topics being discussed.

Chukwuka,

Good job using classroom technology to show students how to research and be resourceful.

Antoine Lewis

I teach automotive technology, sometimes I'll have a student go to a general forum on the internet and find information on a particular repair procedure. After the student presents the information they have found, we can visit a website that is recognized as an industry standard and compare the information that was found. Usually the excersize well point out that not all forums have accurate information. The other advantage to this excercise is that students usually get interested in the subject matter when they are looking for information on their phones.

David,

I agree not all source on the web are reputable and often times that is why plagiarism is needed but it is a great teaching moment and it is good to know that technology is being used in your course(s). Allowing the use of phones can be difficult and often distraction but if enforced can be used as another learning tool.

Antoine Lewis

In my classroom, we use Pearson's MyMathLab website for the students to complete their homework. The students love it because they know right away if they got the problem correct. It also provides them with so many learning tools that they can use when they do not understand a problem.

Sherry,

Pearson has impressive educational tools that benefit student learning onsite or online as long as students take advantage of the content that is provided.

Antoine Lewis

I use the internet in various ways; to show videos; to show content from an international perspective; as well as source material for projects.

Ronald,

Good to know you are using technology to better your students learning experience as it is good for those with contrasting learning styles especially if group projects are involved.

Antoine Lewis

I teach a baking and pastry class, where the students have to visit a bakery and do a report about the shop the visited. Prior to giving this assignment I will break the students into groups and give them the website for a different bakery in the area, and some famous ones. I have a list of things to look for and then I give them time to visit the site, I send them to the library or many will use their phones or ipads in the classroom. During the break I pull up each of the assigned websites and have them ready. After the break each group gives a mini presentation on their bakery. Using the internet in the classroom allows students to see real life examples of the things we will be doing in class. We are able to talk about the differences in price based on location, it’s a very fun activity that student really seem to get into.

Scot,

Good to see that you have allowed your student to utilize technology in the classroom. Students learn to be resourceful and your assignment makes for good classroom discussion.

Antoine Lewis

I like to incorporate YouTube clips into my powerpoint. Since I teach nursing, my clips typically revolve around a video of a person with a disease, talking about how they care for themselves/deal with their disease. I think it offers a simulated "guest speaker" experience that humanizes many of the diseases we teach.

Becky,

Video have become an effective practice and teaching when it comes to nursing. As students get step-by-step guide to assessing a situation.

Antoine Lewis

I enjoy using prepared video, news articls/videos, etc., since they are often updated and provide "real world" application to established course materials.

Sign In to comment