Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Supporting Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder | Origin: ED131

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Teaching Students with Autism --> Supporting Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

The supports available in K-12 does not extend into postsecondary.  I need to continue to educate my students about this fact.

The IEP only applies to the K-12 educational system.  It is hard for college instructors to identify teaching strategies that work due to limited time with student, but review of strategies from previous IEPs can help.

I learned that the reasonable accommodations policies from our University are similar across many Universities.

Student with autism need to understan the challenges they will face when entering secondary education. Support will play an important role in their choice.

It was interesting to know that a child's IEP plan cannot move forward with them into college. This is why its important to build a rapport with all of your students so that they are comfortable with sharing such vital information.

I learned that an IEP does not carry over to postsecondary education.  So students with ASD will be entering college without the benefit of the IEP, but will have the knowledge of the strategies and supports that helped them to be successful in high school.

I didnt know that an IEP does not carry over to postsecondary education.  So students with ASD will be entering college without the benefit of the IEP, but will have the knowledge of the strategies and supports that helped them to be successful in high school. 

Help for individuals with ASD ends after grade school.

I was surprised about the myth about divorced parents of autistic children.

I did not think there was a higher divorce rate among couples who have children with ASD and I am glad that is a myth.

I think there is more specific training that needs to be provided for post-secondary instructors especially for hands-on learning and lab courses.

It was interesting to learn that the divorce rate for parents is not higher than average. I would think the stress would impact the marriage. Hopefully, there are many support groups available, because it takes a village to raise a child!

Sign In to comment