Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Knowing all generations

To know about all generation will help in being deverse with our students. Just because they may be in 1 generation doesn't meant that techniques from another generation won't work. Each studnet has differant morals, values, and ethics depending on how they were raise and by whom.I personally was influeanced alot by my grandparents ideas and values.So as a teacher we must embrace any and all ideas to get our students to learn.

In an adult learning atmosphere instructors often have student representatives from Baby-boomers, Gen X and Gen Y. In order to adequately instruct all generations in the classroom it is important to understand the different learning styles and learning needs of this diverse student population. Instructors must acquaint themselves with the general characteristics of the generations in order to meet their needs and understand the unique challenges encountered by each generation in the classroom.

It is a constant challege to teach on a versatile level for many reasons, age is certain a challenge.

Mary,
this is an excellent synopsis of the need to understand the generations. The other important item is that these skills help us to understand people better as a whole & therefore improves our teaching skills on many levels.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

If as an instructor you don't understand the differences between the Gens, it almost makes it impossible to do your job well.

It is very important to understand all generations, it helps to create effective communication.

Lisa ,
by truly understanding others & where they come from, their experiences, etc, then we can effectively communicate.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

If you take each student as an individual it will force adaptation of your style to them or theirs to yours in order to be successful.Being aware of the likely styles they would respond to makes this much more effective and less time consumeing for me.

Thomas,
this is a great statement. While the generalities are helpful & can help us get a ballpark idea, we do want to treat each learner as an individual.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree. I have a diverse group of students from different generations. I instruct the same for all students.

This is indeed helpful to understand the proper approach when conducting learning and adjusting to different learning experiences.

This gives an instructor a good understanding as to how the delivery can be most effective

I enjoy the discussions on generational learning styles. I am a marketing teacher so we always discuss the importance of knowing and catering to your customers' needs. While it can be helpful for us to "paint with a broad brush", we must realize that all students are individuals and some may not fit perfectly into a pidgeon hole.

I agree with you Mark, and I also think that many people born at the beginning and end of the date ranges tend to be "cuspers" who may be influenced by both generational tendencies. I've noticed that both in my classroom as well as in my entrepreneurial endeavors. This is a very interesting subject!

Sign In to comment