Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

More breaks are required. Information is provided in brief spurts with opportunities for questions or feedback. Comprehension of literature is often quite weak, requiring sometimes a step-by-step process of teaching students how to analyze readings and how to draw conclusions from what they have read. (This is not part of the course but necessary.) These students are generally well motivated to learn and persist even when the material is difficult. There are always exceptions, though. Technology is used as an enhancement to lecture material and sometimes can be used in the classroom if one is able to control it. All of which leads to less content, which is fine. Better to learn something than nothing.

Instructional planning needs to consider variety of instructional methods that considers role of technology and collaboration amongst students that are used to being connected.

Louis,
yes, these kinds of methods can be very beneficial to this generation of students & we should make sure that they are appropriate for the class & the topic.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

When I am planning for a class with the Gen Ys, I try to keep in mind how comfortable they are with technology and being connected to each other. I have bent some classroom rules to incorporate that technology. For example, I had a class where a majority of the students were from this generational cohort. I allowed one of the group to take notes of my lectures on her laptop and she shared her notes with her class through an online site. Other students could edit and add to the notes. It was like an updated version of a group study and it worked for that group.

Very interesting topic and to be honest I have not really given it much thought until after reading about the differences in the generations which definitely helps me to better understand and respect each generation. Now I will take note and keep in mind there are differences based on how the generations think, act, learn. However, I have always been one who pays attention to learning styles and meet individual needs based on that if possible.

I think falling into the "self-esteem" movement has made many in Gen Y feel entitled. We certainly see a reflection of this in classroom behavior. While self-esteem is a good thing, they do not see realize that self-esteem has to be earned. It is not a birthright.

Gen Y students often become very bored in a traditional lectured based class. They are all but intolerant of a single teaching strategy, and one that involes lecture, followed by homework, and then examination on the material. They are used to an interactive approach aspect to the learning process, with tactile learning incorporated into the cirriculum.

I use more online links to help students reach the information and manage portal

A lot of Gen y learners do not want to put in that extra step, think outside the box, or read. They prefer you tell them everything

I do the same thing, and even go as far as printing a grade sheet with all assignments, point totals (class is out of 1000 total pts, each assignment is pre-weighed), and the formula to calculate overall % at any given time. However, even though its simple math (add and divide) I still have students complain that it's too difficult.

Trevor,
yes, the key idea isn't so much specifically which generation is which, but rather understanding that there are differences & we need to broaden our view.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Yolanda,
I too have found that they like a certain amount of spoon feeding to occur.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think that there are several misconceptions about Gen Y. That they lack respect, are needy, have a ME mentality and want things done their way. In my experience I believe that because their access to technology allows them to verify information quickly, they need to be challenged on how to vet and access appropriate information. Take Wikipedia for example, as great a resource as it is, it isn't necessarily fool proof and yet so many assignments will have referenced data from the site. We have to be informative and innovative in our approach to material. They need to be engaged with visuals and have exercises that allow them to use their technology. Texting, Twitter and other social media need to be integrated into the learning paradigm.

Since technology is an extension of their body they gravitate to it, thus using technology within the classroom is an excellent option.

Entitlement plays a large role in the world of a Gen Y learner. They are self-focused.

Providing guidelines on what websites are more reliable is the best option as they will gravitate to a web search rather than that of a library book search.

Some characteristics that define the Gen Y learners are their fierce independence, their emotional and intellectual openness, the fact that they tend to view the world in a global context, mostly due to their dependence on the internet for information. They expect immediate gratification and have been raised in a technological world. Instruction needs to be salient, relevant to them and entertaining. The decrease in attention span compared to some previous generational cohorts means that information packed into small bits works best for them. They are comfortable with technology and also do well with being able to seek out their own answers to questions posed. Because of their fierce independence, guided, but not stifling education works best.

I am reminded of the high school principal who was asked how many students he had in his high school. "About ten per cent," he said.

Unless motivated, human beings are intellectually lazy and avoid thinking. Generation Y learners avoid thinking by calling up information from their technology sources. A previous generation might have avoided thinking by memorizing information.

Relating the material being taught to the life and interests of the Gen Y student and using technology that requires interaction and perhaps group collaboration the student may be motivated to overcome his self centered "do it the easy way" attitude.

I do believe that gen Y learners have not been taught enough of critical thinking. I think technology is great but there still has to be critical thinking involved to solve answers or problems. Technology is just how we access "some" of that information, the critical thinking is still the students responsibility. This is a skill they need to be taught.

I think they expect immediate gratification do in part given how "plugged-in" they are with technology.

Sign In to comment