Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Grumphhh! Little whipper-snappers, have no respect...in my day....

Interesting to read the responses to the prompt and feel that the majority are written from another generational standpoint. :)

Most Gen Y were raised with different expectations and experiences than their instructors. And like my grandparents looked at a car with a/c as a luxury, I don't (especially in Texas in July).

I believe that it isn't so much the characteristics inherent in Gen Y that impact the planning process, but the culture that Veterans, Boomers, and Gen X have created that impacts the classroom--even that educational limitation--a physical localized room--is quickly losing its meaning.

How do you compete for attention and relevance against whole industries doing the same, and with more money, and time? And maybe it's my generational bias, but I believe that it is a mixture of building a relationship, establishing relevance, and a good dose of Edutainment.

I struggle with my students thinking problems through. Even simple math problems are much easier to be solved by speaking the question into their phones web browser and getting an instant answer back. Have even been told “why would I have to learn that when all I have to do is ask my phone”. Thank goodness someone at the other end of the network took the time to program the answer to the question.

I feel like today with some of the Gen Y in the classroom students want to be spoon fed and do not want to work hard for their education. I find that there is a lack of responsibility in students now days in college and it becomes a challenge in the classroom when students are not doing what they need to like studying, taking notes etc and then this is reflected in their grades on exams and quizzes. How do we get this generation of students to want to take more responsibility for their education? I do think teaching to this generation is challenging. I think it is important to engage them as much as possible in the classroom to keep them plugged in. I think visual aids such as technology and then handouts that are eye catching is very important to this generation in helping them learn in the classroom. I think hands on is also very important to this generation.

I find it challenging teaching Gen Y students, I find myself having to become more technologically advanced. These students also come with a sense of entitlement.

Responding to this question, I feel that there is no need to break the habit of relying on others from Gen Y, but to create an environment where they can not rely on others and have to problem solve for themselves, so for this Gen Y, no group projects, you may ask individual questions, if the individual can not find it then that question is theirs until an answer is generated from that individual. if the individual is really having trouble coming up with the answer, then I give him or her a chance to use a life line, a friend, a classmate, or look on their phone.
Unfortunately, Technology is here to stay and Gen Y does not no any other way to communicate.

I have to agree with this statement on immediate gratification from Gen Y, a few minutes after I had collected the mid-term exam, my students wanted to know what grade they received, and from the look on their faces they were not kidding on asking me at that moment.
So I am on a mission to try and generate all test and exams on the computer with a timer and generate the result of a grade to them after they are done, again Gen Y is all about technology and technology brings immediate gratification and less work for me to grade papers.
If anyone out there know of a computer program or software that allows me to carry out my mission please let me know. Think with technology and not against it.

The characteristics of Generation Y learners, especially technological advancement and connectivity, truly impact the instructional planning process. For the technological advancement it is important to explain “the why” of learning content vs. relying on technology to do it for you. When doing so, it is great to include meaningful examples, giving practical uses, and explaining how it goes beyond the subject matter and focuses on the skills such as problem solving / critical thinking. In regards to connectivity, ensuring that you move from “sage on the stage” lecture to a “guide on the side” approach is a common alteration of the instructional planning process. In addition, having students connected to one another through group work, think-pair-share activities, classroom assessment techniques, etc. help play to Generation Y’s characteristics.

@srmeers1

One area that impacts my planning process is that of leveraging Gen Y experience in teaching other generations how to use technology (and not be afraid of it).  Since I often like to use active learning strategies in my classroom, I try to mix the groups for activities to span beyond generational lines.  By doing so, I find the other generations becoming more interested in the technological aspects by asking their Gen Y team members questions.  It is a less-threatening atmosphere than posing a question to the class, and gives the students opportunities to teach and enlighten each other.  As a result, such planning typically ends with a greater appreciation and acceptance for the use of technology among all students; and a true sense of accomplishment for a Gen Y student to teach their older counterpart something that they percieved as essential as a tool for survival.  Win-win........

@ROBRAM0706

I also find it very common in my students, they donot have patience to sit and research for papers or to at least scan them and read them. I encourage them to read the summaries and understand the paper. I incorporate some assignments and break them in parts and assignpoints for each section. I ask them to find a research paper and identify hypothesis, identify the techniques that are relevent to the topics covered in class, identify any microorganisms ( since its a micro class) that have been used and finally right down the findings in their own words. Some of the students do get frustrtated but eventually they come arround and work on the assignment ( even if it is for getting points).

It is absolutely true that we must understand our audience (generation X or Y) in order to connect with them. Certain characteristics of generation Y such as use and their dependance on technolgy has to be incorporated into the planning process in order to keep them engaged and intested in the material. I plan my lessons and delivers lectures as Powerpoints and supplement with multimedia ( video's etc.) and to reenforce concepts give them homework or short quizes online. Sometimes, I supplement it with simulations that they can use internet to access. One of the challenge I face with few students in class is how to keep them from getting distracted by all the social media. 

@srmeers1

The greatest impact that generation Y has to the instructional planning process is in the method of delivery in the classroom.  Since we know that this generation lives and "breathes" technology, it is important to communicate with them using the medium they love.  We have to ensure that the use of technology as an instructional method is maximized.  Classroom interaction, particularly through discussion boards are essential.  So also is the use of social networks where they can effectively foster the learning process.  Doing in-class and outside-the-class exercises that involve the use of the Internet could be quite valuable.  Many of the generation Y students come to school with their I-phones, hence they can easily access the Internet to collect facts and find the right answers to research and in-class discussion questions that arise.  This generation takes pride in using different technology gadgets like the I-pad, I-pod, Laptop, I-phone, etc.  The planning of our lessons have to consider this in order to maximize the engagement of this group of students. 

@cgorick

Thank you for your post.  The idea of the "multi-task" nature of generation Y students is what attracts my attention.  Yes, as we see it all the time in the classroom, several of them attempt to listen to lectures while texting or doing some other things at the same time.  On many occasions, the results have been disastrous.  It is not always possible to look at the PowerPoint slide on the screen, listen to the instructor, send a text and check information on the Internet at the same time.  Performances of many students have been worsening because of their attempts to do these.  It is true that this generation wants to "multi-task," however, that is one area where instructors have to draw the line in the classroom.  To be able to miximize learning, a student needs to concentrate on the information being given by the instructor.  The instructor should be in charge and not the other way around.  Receiving of phone calls and other distractions have to be discouraged in the classroom.

Sign In to comment