Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gen Y learners are more technologically savvy. They will learn better through a means of connectivity.

I have always taken the approach with all generational cohorts in my class that all expectations should be clear and upfront, this leaves very little room for questions or uncertainties about what's due, when or how it will be graded. I also do my very best to get back to them with grades in a timely manner and also allow them time to digest exm/quiz grades and ask questions or review answers they may have gotten wrong.
Make expectations clear, at the beginning!

I find two general groups. Those that need me to reach beyond my Boomer 50%. And spoon feed them. We usually butt heads. I am rather tough on them. I am not the first teacher they have had with this attitude and they soon fall into line. Then there are the students that have been parented by boomers and are self sufficient eager to learn and come far beyond their 50%. I use a mix of roll playing, Power-Point and quick quizzes plus long projects. And within that group I usually have a good mix of learners.

Eugene,
yes, there are so many tools & resources that we can use to supplement our lectures in the modern classroom.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Gen Y students tend to be more reluctant to go to libraries and do research...they expect everything can be googled/wikied. They need to be educated in what counts as a credited source of information to site when researching.

Ramondo,
and while there is an increase of credible & reliable sources available online, we do need to educate our students on how to conduct effective research.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

They are very visual so the use of videos are a great way to incorporate learning.

Gen Y mult-task and get bored quickly. I incorporate several short activities into my lecture/discussions to keep/maintain attention and interest.

Sarah,
yes, visual aids of many types can be great learning methods for this generation.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

They expect everything comes easy and with real world experience or hands on it seems to elude some. Like lacing and truing laced wheels, it is a art form and of all the skills set we introduce them to this is one of the more harder to understand and wrap the minds around as there is so much to grasp. If they just apply it they start to get it and enjoy the rewards it gives back to them.

Jeffery,
I've found that once they get in there, they typically really enjoy the learning. But this generation is very used to immediate feedback & gratification so we must be on the guard for that.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I've noticed, especially in online classrooms I've taught, that the focus tends to be on "student centered" lessons and feedback. Rather than creating a standard lesson plan and forcing all students to adhere rigidly to its parameters, student centered or student focused planning takes each individual student into account and how their learning style impacts their ability to get the most out of the class.

When teaching Gen Y learners I try to incorporate topics related to social networking, because this is what they have grown up on. Also, I realize they need instant gratification, so I try to make sure I get their grades to them in a timely manner, by having tests and exams that can be graded immedialy on-line.

Shelley,
yes & this is a great focus. There is room for some "rigidity" however we must be considering individual learners.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I can agree with that, and submit that it is most commonly visible in the use of LMS to post grades. Students expect to have their tests graded ASAP and for it to appear on the LMS just as fast.

Depending on the class I think the use of a white board is still very effective. Speaking about a slide is common, whereas writing an exercise down, or having the students contribute, or explaining an accounting or math question by additionally writing it on the board can be helpful to show them how exactly the answer was derived.

This speaks to a form of multi-modal teaching which I employ daily. Youtube is a wonderful assistant and helps shed light on a topic in a different way. That is, it provides another perspective for the student.

Robert,
I've found this as well. One challenge I run into is that they also want me to offer them a constantly updated grade total for the class. I take time at the beginning of each course to show them how to do this themselves & I make it very easy. This way they can always know where they stand.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Robert,
this is a great point, it also allows me to be more "in the moment" with the students. Depending on the topic I want their input & so the whiteboard is a great way to do this.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Being more technologically integrated than previous generations, the Gen Y's also may share a rather novel approach to "my dog ate my homework". Gen Y's can hide behind technology. If a particular piece of instructional information arrives on a paper handout rather than an Email or social media application, the Y may choose to ignore it or to seek a verbal cut-to-the-chase synopsis rather than actually reading the piece. Surprisingly, if such a meal is not served on the right plate, Gen Y will not touch his/her "food".

Sign In to comment