Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Characteristics of Generation Y Learners

How do the characteristics of Generation Y learners impact the instructional planning process?

The characteristics of the Generation Y learners impacts the instructional planning process because in order to create a plan that is effective it is imperative to take in consideration the demographics of the people that are being taught. Not to build an instructional plan that takes into account the characteristics of the Generation of learners being instructed would be a serious error. So in this way the characteristics of the Y learners does impact the instructional planning process.

Trinidad ,
this is a great point, it is basic audience analysis that is one of the bedrocks of a good public presentation.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Gen Y Learners respond more to technology. They are users of social media. As instructors, we can use this knowlege to reach out to students and better communicate class information.

Use of technology is important, and needed in order to grab their attention.

Dean,
yes, without compromising your own comfort there are many ways to demonstrate to your students that you are willing to reach them through their preferred mediums.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Generation Y students are technology driven. Keeping this in mind during the instructional planning process means that the use of technology(e.g., web-based learning management system) will fit well with theses learners. Gen Y loves to use social media, so incorporating projects that involves pod cast or the use of the internet in some manner will work towards there learning characteristics.

I agree that incorporating technology the way the students use it can be very successful in the class. I have done this as well. It is also a great way for students to take the lead and teach other students new ways of doing things.

Michael,
and it also provides many ways for us to learn new technologies that can be used effectively in our fields.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

The Gen Y learners do impact the instructional planning process. They lose their focus constantly if they are not being entertained. Unfortunately in the medical field - medical professionals had better be focused - it is life and death.

Generation Y learners have literally lived with technology. Therefore, they learn best with different aspects of technology being used in the class room. Variety is needed to stimulate them educationally.

Gen Y students are multi-task technology driven students. These students text, talk, and use a kindle all at the same time. As an instructor you need to be clever and creative with instructional planning so they can utilize their skills in a variety of ways. This will enable you to keep these students engaged throughout the class time.

Kitt,
and additionally they will be working in tech filled environments (for the most part) so we need to prepare them for this as well.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Cheryl,
and for better or worse, they are used to being "stimulated" constantly so if the attention lags at all, they will move on to something else.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

It's been my experience that technology ,although a great tool, is not as important as good old fashion teaching skills. Today's students coming out of high school do not know nearly as much as my generation and statistics show that! But then again, Im just an old baby -boomer.

Y generation students are more inclined to connect with technology and see things from a global perspective. This means that they are more inclined to believe that they are part of the large group and less likely to feel separated and look to technology for answers so are more comfortable with self directed study.

We must definitely take into consideration that the Generation Y group is significantly different that the other groups and that they tend to rely on technology as a way of life rather than something that is simply nice to have. Cellular phones have about the same value as an arm or leg in today's generation. The attention span seems to be shorter, so it's very important that we catch their attention from the beginning with technology as this is what they can typically relate to.

Cheryl,

I agree with you. This generation is more of a multi-tasking group. As instructors, it's also very important that we keep in mind the different learning styles so that we can ensure that everyone in a class is learning a great deal of knowledge. The students today are also adept of technology so we have to stay adept as well. Fortunately, the Gen-X group was brought up learning at least the basics of technology.

gary,
and along with this, we have to understand that they see "connections" differently. It's just as important for them to stay connected to friends around the country as it is to talk to the person next to them.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

One of my favorite books of all times is the Art of War by Sun Tzu. And one my favorite hobbies is applying the lessons of Sun Tzu to the classroom. In his book Sun Tzu states “If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
While most of the time I do not consider the students I work with as my enemy this quote does ring true about the need to better understand them. What drives them, what makes them say wow, what are their common cultural references basically what generation are they. Understanding that gen y is tech savy reminds me to incorporate technology in my assignments and in class lessons. My experience has been the more I understand the students I’m working with and the more I understand myself and where I am coming from the more successful the class is going to be.

Sign In to comment