Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Lori,

What a great assignment! I love that you blend the respect of cultures and learning.

Arlene Muller

Richard,
Excellent thinking! One size does not fit all. I salute your courage to teach from that foundation. I know it is not easy.

Arlene Muller

Maikel,
All students bring a unique cultural background to the classroom. All students deserve the same equal opportunity to learn and the opportunity to respect all the cultures in the classroom. Your leadership is important to creating that healthy environment. You have my admiration.

Arlene Muller

Lan,
Yes, students learn so much from each other. Congratulations for putting your student's egos first. You still have control and can give more individual attention visiting each group.

Arlene Muller

I teach in an environment where I have students from all walks of life and various countries. From the start of the first day of class I encourage questions and participation from all of my students. I also tell my students that I always have learned from them and that learning works both ways. My classes teach both theory and practical applications with lots of in class assignments. I supplement my lectures with video's and simple diagrams and provide handouts with terminology and review information for exams. During the practical applications I use many examples and have the students work together. I find that sometimes several ELL students will pair up and help one another and other times an ELL student will pair up with someone in the class that who understands the material well. Sometimes I will pair the students together. I always make myself available to all students for additional tutoring and questions. I find that this creates a comfortable learning environment.

Kirk,
Absolutely, you understand that students learn from each other. You could also expand your assignments with some reality of their outside world. Teaching students to assimilate in their new community. Try incorporating manners, ordering food at a restaurant/fast food and inter acting with
everyday life encounters. You could see their confidence improve.

Arlene Muller

I try to create a friendly environment in class that helps me teach and get a good mood within my students. They feel in a pleasant way to discuss material in class even respond to questions about the topics

Ariel,
Ariel, I think you can go beyond saying a friendly environment. You are making your classroom a safe place to learn. Bravo! for your efforts. Your students feel you create an environment where it is safe to make a mistake.

Arlene Muller

if possible team them up with a peer that has success as an ELL

Jon,

Excellent idea. Peer learning is very successful!

Arlene Muller

Sign In to comment