Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I try to make my ELL students comfortable in the classroom by informing myself about their culture and then in lecture sometimes bring up comparisons to the whole class which gets ELL students involved because it is something they are very familiar with and they want to be participating.

walter,
Oh, I hope other instructors follow your example. This is the foundation for any ELL instructor teaching in a multi-cultural classroom. Sharing customs is a foundation to understanding and learning. I compliment your efforts and praise your commitment.

Arlene Muller

I do my best to create a supportive, accepting environment for my ELL students. For example, my instructional materials are not biased toward any particular culture or background. Also, I try to get to know the students' backgrounds and cultures and encourage them to incorporate these elements into their written work and performance assessments. This contributes to their learning by empowering the students to express themselves without fear of judgment or discrimination.

David,
Yes David, you state it so well in summary of your last words, "express themselves without fear of judgment or discrimination." Learning will always occur when students feel it is safe to learn despite making mistakes.

Arlene Muller

My students come from all walks of life, so it is important that I treat my students all the same.

Christine,

Yes, there needs to be equality in the classroom. Being fair is a quality that encourages all the students to learn.

Arlene Muller

I usually avoid long lecturing , sometimes I try to connect part of the lessons with students backgrounds and develop a comfort level in class as much as I can, I use my humor sense and a friendly environment with a good results

Rasiel,
Well, Rasiel you are on the right track. Teaching occurs when the students are talking instead of the teacher. Adding background information based on student culture always improves learning.

Arlene Muller

Having an ELL in the classroom is a great opportunity for all students and instructors. It is a way learning a culture first hand, rather than referencing media outlets. However, it is important to do research on the cultural background to best interact and instruct the ELL.

Ryan,
Wonderful focus to allow everyone to learn from your ELL student. One activity is to have each student in the class research and present a certain aspect of the cultural background. This would save you time and the students would have fun sharing their new knowledge about the ELL student.

Arlene Muller

Being from a foreign country helps break the ice. In my opinion the best environment is created by showing interest in the individual on a personal level and by paying close attention or by staying focused when having an interaction with them.

Pierre,
I like that you understand how to relate to your students because of your background. However, I think you have realized that ELL students need the highest level of communication. I agree with you that you need to "pay close attention or by staying focused when interacting" with your students.

Arlene Muller

Each semester brings a unique mix of individuals into my classes. Some have come from Germany and India, but the vast majority of ELL students are Hispanic learners. ELL students also differ in the methods they employ math problem solving skills. I encourage these students to share how they solve the problems in their country; subsequently, the classmates and I learn a new way of looking at these mathematically. Everyone benefits from this interactive and open environment. Students share foods from their own culture as a culminating activity for a fraction unit. Respect, acceptance, and tolerance are all modeled and promoted in the class activities.

V.,
Respect, acceptance, and tolerance are all modeled and promoted in the class activities. You have a fantastic work ethic with these words. Your students will learn so much because you have made such an open learning environment.

Arlene Muller

This is a goog point. In my opinion we have to treat the student as equally, but we must take into account the student peculiarities and treat each student as an unique person to create a healthy environment, because our cosmopolitansociety, and yes we are equals,but we have different manners, religions, cultures ...

Because not all my students are ELL, it is a challenge to adress language difficulties outside of individuall consultations. I always strive to first be aware of the differences in capabilities. Noting to those that are ELL that I will work with them to ensure fair asesments. In other words, ensuring that I don't have a one-size fits all mentality.

My classroom contains pictures of many different cultures and locations as well as information written in all languages represented by the class. Students are encouraged to write vocabulary words in their native language and English and then to share those with the other students.

I fully understand what ELL students are experiencing. I grew up with family members who immigrated from China, speaking English wasn't even thought of as a necessary means of survival. As they ventured into the "new" world, many soon realized they had to learn new ways. Being in education I have learned to "listen" to ELL students more than I ever expected. I can understand their need for acceptance. I have found that when speaking with ELL students if I use perfect English I'm not being completely fair with them. I lived in Hawaii for a couple of years and learned pidgin English. Also lived in south Florida for about 20 years and learned what was referred to as "Spanglish". Both forms of my "adopted" English have been effective in helping bridge the gap between ELL students and myself.

Hi

I divided my ELL students into several small groups so they can learn and also help each other. Lan Le

Warren,
Oh how lucky your students are to have you with such a diverse background. Your ability to give back will make a difference in your student's education.

Arlene Muller

Sign In to comment