Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The learning environment for all learners needs to be welcoming and comfortable. I have learned that with english language learners I must include many visual aids. For example, using a powerpoint presentation with pictures of the instruments we are learning as well as bringing the instruments into the classroom is a great exercise.

Theresa,
Yes, you are using the pictures and instruments to reach your audio and visual learners. I acknowledge your efforts to do both in this type of leaning program. Where do you see the students strongest response in the presentation of slides, physical instruments or the sound?

Arlene Muller

I like to create a warm, open, welcoming classroom for all my students. All the rules are reviewed the first day and and then I encourage discussion until everyone's concerns and questions have been answered. I then enforce these rules equally with every student consistently.
Most of the rules are the schools rules and they center around attendance, dress, food in the classroom, due dates for assignments, dates and times of tests and the consequences if the rules are not followed.
It sometimes takes a week or so for the entire class to understand that there are no exceptions or special circumstances that give any student a pass on the rules or consequences. I remind them that life happens to us all and we sometimes suffer consequences but each person must be held to the same standard. Once the class as a group understands this, an ease seems to permiate the class as some stop trying to get special treatment.
From day one I encourage my students to ask questions, share their experiences and ideas, and let me know when they do not understand what I am talking about. I ask open ended questions and ask them to share any experience they feel comortable sharing with the class.
I also tell stories about my experiences that relate to what I am teaching them and ask for their input also. I have had wonderful students from all over the world that love to share things about their culture and their country. I have also had very private quiet students that are reluctent to speak in class or in a group. I try to get one on one time with them to help them with any concerns they have.
I think it helps all students to learn when they know they are valued and the teacher wants them ti succeed.

Jeanne,

Once again, your structure of the classroom starting from the first day presenting the classroom rules for your student's success is outstanding. Finding individual time with students is often the hardest activity for a teacher to accomplish. You covered all the rules and expectations plus expressed how life events will happen in their lives will not deter their education. All I can say is EXCELLENT!

Arlene Muller

I create a welcoming and safe environment in the classroom. I encourage them to speak English as much as possible to practice their speaking and learning skills.

Donald,
Yes, I agree. Giving your students a safe place to speak English really helps students feel comfortable with a new language. May I suggest they bring pictures of animals from magazines or a children's book and have them use English to describe the animals.

Arlene Muller

I have enjoyed reading all the responses to this question in this forum! I have taught for only six years at the college level, both face-to-face and online courses. I don't have much experience with ESL students, although I have one or two in each class. It is sometimes very hard to reach them because they are often so quiet and hesitant. I teach to different learning styles in all my classes, and incorporate multi-modality as much as possible: videos, sound, music, moving the class outside to write sonnets in nature, etc. I vary in-class activities as well: lecturing, large group discussion, small group discussion, listing questions, reading the text out loud, having students perform oral presentations, etc. I have one Chinese student this semester that I can't seem to get through to. He will not participate in my small group activities (even low-stakes discussion) and while his writing is okay, he rarely speaks up in class, and when he does, I cannot understand him. This causes embarrassment for all of us, and I think contributes to his not speaking. I have encouraged him to come into office hours and have emailed him encouragement as well. It is my goal to make my classroom more accommodating to students such as this. You are right -- these students tend to get lost in all the noise. My classroom is easy-going, loud, boisterous, with a lot of laughter and joking. We are also reading texts that are among the most difficult in the English language: Shakespeare, and Milton's _Paradise Lost_. Should I encourage my ESL students to read these texts in their native language? I'm not sure what would be best! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Erin,
Wow, you are amazing in your efforts for the classroom. Yes, I think if they can find this literature in their native language it could help their comprehension. They would need to read both books. I know more work, however, most ESL students are willing to do the extra work. Currently I am trying to learn German. I find that my first need is to learn phrases and questions that will get me by in a normal conversational situation. My goal is to move on to numbers, time and vocabulary words.

My suggestion is to give him sentences, and questions in English that pertain to the classroom. Under each question spell the words phonetically so he can sound them out. My next recommendation is for him to have a set of English/Chinese flash cards. Check Amazon.com for vocabulary cards. Maybe you can have a class set of different language cards and the students can check out 10 cards at a time. Can you see these ideas working?

Arlene Muller

The learning environment we have is very unassuming. There is no precedent condition or requirement. Students find out when they come to class that they can ask any question or make comments according to their undertanding of the topic of discussion. Those questions would then be answered to throw more light on the discussion. Students have ultimately expressed deeper understanding of new concepts because of this kind of learning environment.

Your ideas might work, but my classroom is a lower-division college-level course. I only see my students for 50 minutes a day and things move very quickly, as you can imagine! His writing seems to be okay, but he is much more hesitant about speaking. Thanks to this class, I've checked with him about perhaps changing some of the course requirements. There is an oral presentation requirement, but for this student, perhaps it would be better to do a written report.

Thank you for your help!

Chukwuka,

Well done! Sounds like you have made a safe and non threatening environment in which to learn. It seems the students are feeling the freedom to express themselves in this type of learning environment.

Arlene Muller

Erin,
Yes, I have also been on class time restrictions so I understand your limitations. You might want to try a combination of having him write his report then read it to only you. This way he completes the requirement and he has the freedom to speak slowly and make mistakes in his English. Yes, looking at other options which will give him more basic courses could be rewarding for both of you.

Arlene Muller

I try to create non threatening environment for my students, where they could speak out their minds. Also, I believe in respect as a basic requirement for open interaction. This means respect to all students for their uniqueness; and I expect the same in return.

Irina,
Excellent, I also feel that respect is an outstanding quality in the classroom. This allows the students the freedom to make mistakes and not feel afraid that others will laugh at them. When students feel safe they will have the freedom to learn.

Arlene Muller

I find that students often feel frighten of making a mistake regardless of the culture them come from. I teach hands on procedures and I always try to help students and remind them that is not about the mistake is what you do after a mistake. I tell them that you need to treat everyone the way you want to be treated. I come from a diferent culture and I alway emphasize to students that each an everyone learns in different ways. I have them practice many times to find their own way to perform a procedure without geopardizing accuracy.

Laura,
Outstanding Laura, Yes, I agree students are more afraid of making a mistake than learning. I love your statement, I teach hands on procedures and I always try to help students and remind them that is not about the mistake is what you do after a mistake. It is similar to we all fall down it is getting up that is important. I think you have the right attitude!

Arlene Muller

Thank you, I really enjoy teaching and seen how the students grow in many ways.

Laura,

I have often presented faculty training and tell them that YOUR ATTITUDE is the ATTITUDE in the Classroom. I like your attitude!

Arlene Muller

As an ESL teacher, I always put my students culture, language and background into consideration by creating exercises that help them retain key elements in the new language. I also compare and contrast different languages to the English in order to show them examples from their languages and Englsih. By giving examples, students are able to understand English and are able to appky it in exercises, reading and writing.

Raghda,
I love your cultural exercise that states,"I also compare and contrast different languages to the English in order to show them examples from their languages and English." This is a visual concept along with your auditory presentation will really help your students learn their new language.

Arlene Muller

Sign In to comment