Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Literacy

I think teaching a person to read is of utmost improtance, not only reading but writing to all or most levels of comprehension is extremely important. From this starting point one can see the "light bulbs" popping on.

I was never one to be good at reading but i have noticed that i tell my students more and more to read what they have in front of you. I sometimes have to tell myself the same thing.

Frank,
It is so sad how many people cannot read and/or write basic items. So many students struggle with spelling as well.

Shelly Crider

Jason,
Another example of lifelong learning! I read a ton more now than I did in the first year of my bachelor degree!!

Shelly Crider

I find it interesting that many of our students do what I call selective reading, they seem to spend more time lust looking at referance pictures that actually reading all the steps outlined in a given task. They will spend 3 times the amount of time alooted for a task stuggling to complete it. It's interesting that when you force them to take the 5 minutes to read all steps requiired how quickly they can successfully complete the task.

I could not agree more. I have very specific tasks to be done in a lab environment. I have the students write all the steps down days ahead of time. Once out in lab they still don't read what they wrote to perform the task correctly.

Tony,
Selective reading appears in every course! Many students want the quick way...instant gratification...so they look for the key words.

Shelly Crider

Michael,
I like that you have the students write all the steps down. This is helping become more organized and show importance of the task.

Shelly Crider

Comprehension is critical! I find that I get alot of students that can read fine, and when they understand the question, write quite well. But half the time they don't comprehend what the question is asking. I have to give a small comprehension lesson to them and then, like you said Frank, there is the light bulb.

Chad,
Good point. So many students read fast and do not retain what they have read.

Shelly Crider

I agree with you,it is very sad when we have a student that can't read or write. I think that when we discover these students we can help them most by pointing out the importance of being able to read and write and help them find a place that offers reading and writing as a course.
I don't think we help them at all by passing them on ,only to fail at some later date.

phillip,
True and so many students just get passed on starting way back in elementary school!

Shelly Crider

Facts are the students are more focused on how fast they may do the task, than how accurate or why thay are doing the task.

If students understand 100% of what they are doing they will have trouble in the future.

Richard,
Good point. So many studetns just want to "get done" and do not focus on accuracy.

Shelly Crider

I have found that some students skip over the words that they don't understand. I think maybe it is embarrassing for them to come to the instructor to ask questions.

I try really hard to make sure the students understand the directions of an assignment. I repeat the directions to them, and I ask them to repeat the directions back to me...a few students still get lost in the shuffle.

Sign In to comment