Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Terri,
Great summation. Glad you found this to be helpful and that it reinforces what you are already doing.
Philip Campbell

Diversity is key, if we all did everything the same way it would be kind of boring and predictable. The fact that we are all different makes us unique with the unknown expectation. People cannot predict or know whats going to happen. Thats really good for a teacher who relates to their students in different ways.

Troy,

We agree. "Unity can never be achieved if people keep focusing on how they are different."

The focus not ON the diversity, it is understanding diversity exists and appreciating how much more our lives are enriched by embracing it.

terri

I have noticed a great deal of age diversity in our student population. In order to be effective, an instructor has to be aware of this diversity and understand that an 18 year old student does not have the same experiential levels as a 50 year old.

In my classroom, which is a kitchen half of the time and a lecture room the other half, I experience a large amount of intellectual diversity among my students. Many of my students are college graduates, and many other barely made it through high school. Therefore, I have to be very aware of the many styles of learning that are taking place on a daily basis, and try to do my best to teach to each individual student in the manner that will prove to be most effective in terms of their understanding and internalization of the material.

I think that besides cultural and thnic diversity instructors need to be aware of the diversity in student's leanring styles. Some students are auditory learners and others are visual. Some students need hands on experiences and others need to be walked through the process verbally before attempting to complete the task on their own. Also, it is important to diversify one's teaching style to accomodate all kinds of learning styles. It is also important to realize that some students work well in groups and others do not, so adding some group assignments to any class is always a good idea.

Our population of students creates more of a socioeconomic diversity. This was a big challenge for me just starting out teaching. Being an Army brat I am used to diversity, but not necessarily to economic diversity. It was very hard not being able to relate to some of the problems that my students would have. Gradually, I've become more empathetic and have been able to be a confidant and liaison to help with some of the things they deal with.

I agree that age diversity can be difficult in the classroom. Not only is their outlook on life and experience different, but often times they have different goals. I try to focus on what we have in common so that the students can learn to accept each others differences.

Kristina,
It is hard to deal with something that you never had to before. The students are doing the same when trying to deal with school and their personal lives.
Philip Campbell

I truely agree. When dealing with a class full of diversity students, it is our duty as instructors to treat all students with the same respect. also we need to make sure that we teach to the students level of learning making sure that all students come out with understaning and assurance of the lesson being taught. Making students feel equal no matter what the race,background,etc.as teacher is important to treat everyone the same.

Another type of diversity is "introvert" vs. "extrovert." Extroverts enjoy free-wheeling classroom discussions where the instructor poses a question and then looks for immediate responses. Introverts are uncomfortable with this spontanaeity, and prefer to think about their answers for a while. Extroverts enjoy lots of interaction, while introverts prefer written assignments and reading. There are more differences. It's important that teachers also understand these differences, because they affect how students respond in class. Probably at least 1/4 of most classes are introverts.

Economic diversity can play a big role in a students prior education and their ability to gain new skils in the classroom.

I see a variety from students who grew up in different backgrounds. Some grew up the children of millionaires and others grew up in homes on fixed income where they worried about eating daily. Sometimes I have to work really hard to relate to students who have completely different backgrounds than I do. So many of their skills are based on their backgrounds, I try to encourage them to learn about other students and processes that they use.

Within the adult classroom setting there tends to be diversity with age differences. At times discussions can be tense as each tries to understand how the other generation interprets situations. At other times the diversity is a very valuable learning tool for all of us.

Michele,
There will always be diversity, in the workplace, at social events, etc. It is important to have exposure to them.
Philip Campbell

Teaching at a tech school for almost Nine years we have changed alot with our student population.its way more diversed so to keep students engaged you have realize that people from different back grounds learn differently. so to be effective you to have hit all angles.

I teach composition writing, including how to write persuasive (argumentative)essays. That has been a wonderful tool in getting students to address uncomfortable or volatile issues. By establishing the rule that all opinions are acceptable, as long as they are supported by effective facts, expert opinion or details, rather than mere opinion,I've been able to clear the air on some tough questions, get people to consider other viewpoints, get them to work well as teams and improve interpersonal communication. Like my students, I think I've become more open-minded. I've learned a lot from my students, and they appreciate hearing that. That gives them the validation they often don't get in other aspects of their lives, and gets them relating to each other openly.

My school also has this rich range of diversity. It certainly provides us with remarkable sets of challenges and opportunities!

Dixie,
Focus on the opportunities but do not ignore the challenges.
Philip Campbell

Meet them all with persistent optimism!

Sign In to comment