Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Financial diversity is something that needs to be taken into consideration when giving assignments. One example is that not all students have access to computers and/or internet at home. This can be a challenge, but should not be ignored as some students are too embarrassed to say anything and will just take a zero instead of asking for help.

Tina,
Love that phrase as well. We should incorporate into classes every day.
Philip Campbell

William,
Yes, not everyone has the same social background or economical background. Keep digging in and helping.
Philip Campbell

The largest area of diversity I see in my classrooms are socio-economic status and the norms from each group are extremely diverse. The expectations of individuals in each group differ as well as the way in which they process info or view the world.

cultural diversity is not the only diversity instructors need to be aware of. Students have different learning styles, communication styles, and critical thinking variences. I believe an instructor should be aware of the diversity of these groups as well and effective at managing students in a comfortable manner within these diversities.

I believe that physical and mental disabilities are also important to the diversity of my students. A high percentage of my students are veterans who served in Afghanistan and Iraq and have disabilities as a result of these deployments. I find that it is very important to be aware of these disabilities in both my veteran and non-veteran students.

Mr. Campbell,
One type of diversity, is learning styles, Studies show that 30% of people prefer learning kinesthetically where hands-on experience helps make the learning stick. Some 20% are visual/verbal learners who learn best when information is presented in a written language format. Another 20% are visual/nonverbal learners who learn best when information is presented in a graphical format such as charts and power points. Embracing the various types of learning styles have helped me reach a diverse group of students in other categories of diversity i.e. culture, religious ect.

Sign In to comment