Types of Instructors | Origin: ED113R
This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:
Managing the Adult Classroom --> Types of Instructors
Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.
In the previous module I named the three teaching styles I combine, which were authoritative, facilitator and democratic. I have found in this section that those three describe the guide, which is what I identify with. In an effort to continue as a guide, I will be more active in giving good feed back to my students publicly, and establishing rules and expectations in the first few days of class. It really does help eliminate a number of misunderstandings.
I learned that my role is to support students by guiding their learning and helping them develop their skills.
Controllers and Buddies are not totally unacceptable. However, their management styles have serious flaws, and they offer fewer positive qualities than the Guide does.
I primarily function in the guide role, but that fluctuates depending on the group of students I'm working with. For example, my weekend group is more mature and goal-oriented, while my weekday group is very young and easily distracted. I find myself working more as a Guide/buddy with the weekend group and Controller/guide with the weekday group. Needless to say, the weekday group has been challenging, but I hope they will develop emotional maturity and professionalism from my example and interactions with them.
Lilit Mnatsakanian
I learned that I am more like a guide and facilitator
I learned that i lean towards the controlling, guide styles.
This module reinforced that effective classroom management is built on respect, clear expectations, and meaningful student engagement rather than strict control. I also learned that adult learners respond best when they are treated as capable, self-directed individuals. I plan to apply these ideas by fostering a collaborative classroom environment, communicating expectations clearly, and providing opportunities for students to take greater ownership of their learning.