Management Styles | Origin: ED113R
This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:
Managing the Adult Classroom --> Management Styles
Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.
This module has helped me solidify the belief that there is not one perfect way of teaching, students benefit from a combination of teaching styles. I intend on continuing to apply the authoritative, facilitator and democratic teaching styles.
I've learned different teaching styles to apply to adult learning classroom. It is so important, as an instructor, you acknowledge your students limitation and preference. Flexibility is the key to navigate and ensure all students needs are met. A group of students might require you to be ready to switch style occasionally.
When safety is a concern, establishing clear guidelines and providing consistent supervision during training can reduce workplace errors. By clearly communicating expectations, students know what is expected of them and can dedicate their time and attention to developing the necessary skills.
When safety is an issue, clear rules and firm supervision during training can help prevent mistakes in the workplace. When expectations are clear, students understand what is required of them and can focus their time on learning the required skills.
Typically, my style is a combination of authoritative and facilitative leadership. I find these styles allow me to lead and guide most adult students. However, I notice with some of the younger students, I must take a more authoritative role. They can be difficult to manage and I am forced to be more direct and strict with them.
As an instructor to be on a leading position, to show strength in leadership and management of the classroom
Classroom management is something that is always changing, be the student child or adult. All the styles come in to play to have an engaging classroom. Sometime the instructor has to be authoritative, sometimes you want to prompt discussion, and then you want the students to show mastery by teaching each other. I agree with my peers there is no one right way to lead a classroom.
What I have learnt from this module is that us instructors need to be very adaptive teaching. There is no particular teaching style that is best but all teaching style needs to be utilised in teaching.
This module reinforced that there is no single teaching style that is effective in every situation. Instead, successful instructors adapt their approach to meet the needs, experiences, and goals of their students. I was reminded of the importance of balancing content expertise with facilitation, encouraging adult learners to actively engage with the material and apply it to real-world situations. Going forward, I plan to be more intentional about incorporating collaborative discussions, problem-based learning, and practical examples that allow students to connect new concepts to their own professional and personal experiences.
I think having structure in the classroom is great, but it is also nice to be able to work with the students