Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Quiet students

How can I engage a quiet student without embarrassing them?

Hi,

I have tons of students like this in the beginning

I'll interact with them and teach them interpersonal skills to help them come out of their comfort zones.

For example, relating stories of how I overcame being shy and sharing tools and techniques with them.

Mrs. Tatum

After the lecture, I give a short exercise.  Students, please turn to the person next to you and discuss what you learned in the lecture, you have 5 minutes.  I walk around to see, what the students learned.

I find putting students in small groups always helps.

I agree that putting students into small groups helps quiet students participate

Reply to Yolanda Puente-Benson's post:Yolanda, I will try your suggestion of asking students to restate what they have learned in class.  Possibly even I can share with the class what new concept was discovered or clarified through the class time. 

Reply to Phil Finch's post: I wll infom the class to share what they have learned with the person next to them . They should share  one or two things learned and that  no amount of knowwledge is too small . I know how hard it is speak before a group and I will share my need to grow in the area of speaking in front of others.

Sign In to comment