Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Faculty Integrity

I have known a situation that was demoralizing to my students.  A campus dean would walk to each class in session, coffee in hand, enter the classroom, look around to catch any student with coffee in a classroom, then return to her or his office to write a message to the instructor, threatening to terminate the instructor if another cup of coffee were to be seen in her or his classroom.  The students noted the cup of coffee in the dean's hand, and were more than a bit demoralized with such events.  Is this situation a question of faculty integrity, or is it a case of the right of the office? 

I believe it to be faculty integrity.  The rule is " No drinks/food in the classroom/lab"!!  No where does it say "except for faculty"!!  Have you brought this to the administrators attention?

Theresa

If there is a school policy or rule that stipulates the No Drink or Food policy in a classroom or lab area. It should be adhered to by students faculty, staff. Rules are to be followed by everyone.

I agree, and yet it seems to be very challeging to enforce, there's a lot of students that never abide by the rules no matter how many times you tell them, it seems like a continuous struggle, and also we have to walk a very thin line between enforcing the rules and alienate the students, I talked to some student about that, some told me we really want to follow the rules, but sometimes we barely make it to the class for a lot of reasons, and we have to put something in our stomach, and we can do that without missing a good portion of the class, so have to take it the class

Sign In to comment