Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Remembering Names

Remembering student names does not come naturally to me. I found early on that if I don't make an extra effort here, it won't happen. Oh, I'll pick up a few names, mostly of those who answer questions or do excellent work. But I won't pick up the names of the quieter students, which is really bad because they may need more attention and it's going to feel really awkward several weeks into the course if I go to help them and can't remember their name!

So I usually make a copy of the roster and focus after the first session for just a few minutes, putting faces to names in my head. It won't "take" for all of them right away, but after a couple of weeks I've usually got it down (and I think a couple of weeks in a ten-week course is reasonable).

Also, when I do forget a name, I try to put a "happy face" on it, being humorous but not (of course) insulting a funny-sounding name or anything like that. I usually just try to laugh at myself a bit and let the students know it's okay to laugh at me too. It's not like we're going to hide the fact that it's hard to remember a lot of names -- they know that can be tough. But they appreciate the effort, even if it's not 100% successful. They can see that I'm remembering other students' names even if I happened to forget theirs, and usually if something like that happens it sets it in memory anyway so I won't forget that student's name again.

Hi Pat,
Continue to make an effort! At least you are trying. Some instructors use name tents and alphabetic seating.

Patricia Scales

i personally like the idea of the name tents,set infront of each student, and eventhough my name is going to be on the white board i still put one out to show the students that i am know better than they are when it comes to remembering names.

I play the name game on the first day of class. I also use name tents & try to remember something about the student and ling it back to the students name. Students feel real imortant and that you care if you can call them by name.

I like to remember names, I learn their interests and it helps me put a name to there interest

I always think it is important to remember your students names because it makes them feel important. It also makes them feel like you remember them. Like the section 4 said I try to remember there names by the second class. The first class we play a game to help me remember the names, and since I'm a visual learning it helps me then put a face with a name. I think it also make them feel like they can trust you since you have a rapport with them.

I also have a mental block when it comes to remembering people's names. I have had this problem all my life. I have been working hard on remembering my student's names. I am getting better at it. I usually have them down in about a week. I do mess up sometimes.

Hi Peg,
As long as you know it is something you have to work on, and you are working on it, that is all anyone can expect.

Patricia Scales

what is the name game? I find it equally important for students to know the names of the students in the class as well so we become a community. I have students identify their name when they speak the first day of class and then initiate the practice of calling that person by name each time I speak to them so that others follow suit. Eventually we are all addressing each other by name. I would like to know what the name game is so maybe I can incorporate it into my first day of class as an ice breaker perhaps. thanks!

I have thought of taking a quick class photo during the first couple of weeks of class preferrably showing the students doing something memorable. Referring to the photo showing all the students together and in different postures might help to remember their names.

Hi Edith,
I use name tents for the first two weeks to help with name memorization.

Patricia Scales

Hi Brenda,
Great way to help put a name with a face through photos.

Patricia Scales

I agree students do feel important and appreciated when called by their first name..

Hi Sheri,
Students are special and should be made to feel as such. Anyone likes knowing that someone really knows them by their name. Great way to build rapport, just by knowing your students name.

Patricia Scales

I give the students nicknames in my head that are associated with thier name so i can remember them more quickly.

Hi Patrick,
Cute idea! Some instructors use name tents to help with name memorization.

Patricia Scales

I take individual photos of students at orientation or at start of class (have them sign a release form), and paste the pictures into a Microsoft Word table with their names below the picture (think Brady Bunch). I can look at this outside of class to put faces with names.

Sign In to comment