Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

when students are angry

As an Instructor you should never put yourself in harms way from an angry person that is uncontrollable. use good judgement to determine if you can calm the person.

Hi Brian,
Absolutely, it is at the instructor's discretion as to whether to deal with an angry student or not. You are to never put yourself in harm's way.
Patricia

This is the one that is hard to stay professional with, but it is a must. The instructor MUST keep their head or it is a loosing deal. I agree you should listen and let the student finish what they want to say then respond. In the work force we used to have mirrors up in the service area so when a customer would come in screaming they could see what they looked like and usually they would settle down.
Just a thought.

This reminds me of a service writers course I once took that dealt with angry customers. An effective way to deal with angry people is to monitor their tone level and work with them until the tone level becomes manageable.

Good judgement is a wonderful trait , however somtimes we get thrown to the wolves as some would say. We have no clue as to whats happening in our students life ,but it really sets the stage for there anger and atittudes while in school.

Hi David,
It is true, you must know when to confront angry folks. It is always best to wait until the person simmers.
Patricia

Hi Greg,
There are many outside factors that really affect out students' behavior. We must continue to pry to find out what's going on so that we can help.
Patricia

I also like to keep tones to a sub-sonic level. Getting loud to each other only increases the tension, the anger and the frustration a student will have. By rationally discussing problems with an angry student, you keep control of the situation. Maybe the student came from a large family and the only way he can voice his opinion and be heard is to get loud and thus anger might be a venting tool.

Hello David,
You never know what causes a student to react the way he or she does. As educators, we must try to keep our composure at all times.
Patricia

Yes, and I like the advice of the course which is to ask them to write about the issue-- which can act like a buffer. Also, you should always stay clam and in control in these situations.

Hello Eleanor,
I have seen when students write about the issue, after the written assignment, the student simmer down quite a bit and realizes it really isn't all that serious. Writing puts things in perspective for the angry student. This strategy is powerful for angry students. Generally, this tactic helps resolve the problem, if there is one, rather smoothly and quickly.
Patricia

I agree, I think most of these students just want someone to listen to them. Most of the time when they come in with a complaint, it has nothing to so with what is really wrong. When I have a student that seems to be upset with everything I write down all those things and we tackle them one at a time. By the third or forth thing they seem to find out those were all just excuses and we can start talking about the real issues.

Hi Jeffrey,
As things begin to unfold, students realize things are not as bad as they may seem.
Patricia

Sign In to comment