Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivating Ready to Quit Students

In our part of the education industry, retention of students is vital. Even more importantly, it is the right thing to do. When you see a student starting to lose their motivation and getting ready to quit, it is time to go into action!

Hopefully by the time a student gets to this point, you have already learned about them and what motivates them. Refocusing them on what brought them there in the first place is usually a good place to start. Reminding them about their desire for a better job or a better position in life, can sometimes help. Just the additional interaction you have with them during this discussion can make a difference.

What are some methods that have worked for you in the past to remotivate a ready to quit student?

David,in my first class, we discuss the rules of engagement. We talk about what it is to be a respectful and supportive learning community. I also stress that there are no wrong answers in our classroom. We learn from sharing and discussing different perspectives. I have had students tell me that this has made them feel more comfortable about attending / participating. If a student is falling behind, I speak to them personally and send a follow-up email. I keep the dialogue going focusing around the premise that I know education is important to them and that I believe they can be successful. I have had good results to date!

I usually catch the student one on one and see how they are doing. I often find that there is something out of class that has them distracted. If It is nothing I can help with I recomend him to our student advocate for advice.

I do the same, Michael. We contract with a student support services organization. I keep referral forms in my brief case, and I post the support number within the content section of our class.

When I recognize a student may be in danger of quitting, I sit down with them and initiate a plan for success. This plan may include a visit with our student resource advocate or simply a plan on how the student will work on getting things done from one day to the next. I check in with this student daily to make sure they are doing alright and that they know that I am here for them.
As a campus team, we meet weekly with the registrar and the student advocate to discuss at risk students. We come up with a plan and take a team approach when following up. This has been very successful.

Hi Michael,
When we are unable to save a student from quitting, we should always get other personnel involved to help save the student. Sometimes one person can say the magic thing(s) to encourage the student to stay.

Patricia Scales

Hi Jamie,
We do the same thing. This is a great resource to help students in various areas.

Patricia Scales

Hi Connie,
Awesome! Retention is certainly a team effort! I like how you are very proactive in this process.

Patricia Scales

i absolutely assess those in danger of quitting and make an effort to engage them one on one and discuss their goals and what is expected of me as the instructor to eliminate this fear and give them the encouragement to continue

When I recognize a student is at the point of quitting, I remind them of all that they have invested.
I encourage them to take a time out and review their reason for being.
I think that it is important for students to understand that it is necessary to adjust their
short term goals in order to realize their long term goals.

Hi Joyce,
Retention is no doubt a constant battle. We have to do all we can to help our students keep their eyes on the prize.

Patricia Scales

We first need to identify those that are ready to quit. There are certain things in their behavior that can clue us in. Once we identify them, we must reach out to them with a variety of means.

There are other college departments that can give them additional support. Our role is to encourage them to continue by helping them see the value of the class, the value of their other classes and the value of college education in general. If a student keeps "their eyes on the prize"it will seem worthwhile to them and help us all.

I tell my students that they undoubtedly will face many situations which could derail them from the path. It might not be easy but it will always be worth it!

Sign In to comment