Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Identifying challenging students

Who are your most challenging students and what strategies have you found to be most effective in working with them?

The students that are distracted with life outside of school and have a difficult time balancing home and school. I ususally give personal examples because I was absolutely that student who had to work, raise a family, attend church for my spiritual growth, and still attend school(study, homework, apply myself, be in attendance). My personal tesimony is generall a successful motivator! I simply state, "If I can do it, then I know you have what it takes to get the job done!"

Hi Mitessa,
It is good when you can empathize with your students. You are proof to your students that school success can come about with everything else that you have to juggle.

Patricia Scales

I agree with Mitessa. Sharing my experience as being a "non-traditional" student helps them to see that it can be done. I too had to work while attending school, maintain a household, meeting family as well as spiritual needs, all while dealing with a spouse who had a life threatening illness. This shows students that sure it's tough and not always easy, but the things worth having are worth working for. God didnt' promise a bed of roses, but He did promise to be there with us through it all.

My most challenging students are those who don't seem to want to be in school and as a result perform poorly. I meet with them and try to find out why they enrolled in school in the first place and why they seem to be so disinterested. Many times their reasons are beyond my helping them (money, job, children, etc...) and they are then assisted by our student resource officer.

My most challenging students are those adults who have had broken homes and very little boundary setting in their lives. When I cousel them individually, especially for rule infractions, I tell them to think about this statement: my rights end at the end of your nose; the converse of this statement is true also. I impress upon them that they have a chance to make a better showing tomorrow and school is a place to make mistakes and learn. However, being an adult, the same mistake twice after counseling tells me that a conscious decision has been made to be defiant. An employer will fire them.

Hi Craig,
Students should realize in order to get out the mess they are in (money, job, etc.), they need a better job, therefore they should want to complete their education.

Patricia Scales

Amen sister! I encourage my students anytime I can because I believe they do have what it takes to face and overcome challenges along this journey! The challenge for me is the fact most of them do not always believe in "themselves", so to be consistant in encoragement plants a seed, that the instructor(s) can water along the way! My classic statement is: "Look at how many sacrifices you've made and how far you have already come...Lets dig deeper and push forward and make that ultimate stand to succeed and when you are holding that diploma, You will be glad you put forth the effort to finish!

My most challenging students are the loud disruptive students, very opinionated and need to be seen. I allow them to speak for a short time period and then I address their issues. If they get to disrespectful I will ask to speak with them in private. I talk about the subject matter and generally find out there are other issues taking place.

My most challenging students are those that shift blame to others. Many adults (especially my female students) use their children as a constant excuse as to why they are late or class, or why they need an extension on their work. To deal with these students I often meet with them after class to help them develop a plan of action. Helping them develop a plan of action allows them to determine how they can manage their time more effectively and juggle their personal life with work and school. The 'kids excuse' may work the first two times, but after that it's time to learn how to multi task!

I always reinforce the rules they have to follow when ever I start the lecture. I used to stop my lecture when somebody is talking and most of the times they will realize. Some maynot, those I take outside the class for private talk. Most of them respond. But few cases I had to report to the authorities

Hi Thomas,
Typically I do not have disciplinary problems at this level, however, when I do, I address the problem quickly and swiftly to let them know this type of behavior WILL NOT be tolerated.

Patricia Scales

My most challenging students are both those who appear to be following along but are actually struggling (just not saying anything), and those who make excuses for leaving class early. I prefer to work with those who are struggling, because that involves trying another approach, checking on them more often, or even providing after-class help. The students who constantly make excuses to leave class early are challenging to me, however I try some of the methods mentioned in this course such as requesting documentation or talking with the student outside of class to try to determine if there are life-situation factors that are causing the problem.

The most challenging students for me are students that do not appear to care, or do not participate. I have found one on one interaction after class has been effective for overcoming these challenges. Many times there are situations out of the classroom impacting these students. Taking the time to ensure they feel you care about their success can turn many of these situations around.

definitely have challenging students. I like the suggestions of the course in handling them. try to break into smaller groups as they suggested. great information from the course

Hi Mitessa,
You sound like you do a fantastic job motivating your students. Keep the faith is key! Continue to encourage your students.

Patricia Scales

Hi Daniel,
Sometimes all our students need to hear is that we care about them, and we believe in them.

Patricia Scales

Thank you, I don't tell them what I heard... I tell em what I know first hand!

I agree with you! I have a few students that do not behave/speak/dress in a professional manner-- and have a hard time providing commitment to class. I try to relate to their problems and make time to ask them about challenges (such as attendance and test issues). I find it hard though to address some personal issues-- like attire and language used. usually i speak to the whole calss about the importance of professionalism-- any thoughts?

Mitessa, I have had similar experiences with my students. My distracted students are those adult learners who are struggling in their personal life - single parenting, working double shifts, taking care of extended family, their own illness or illness of spouse/children. I give them so much credit for working toward their academic goals and try to keep them motivated. I find that following up with them often, to make sure they are staying on track, is both appreciated and advantageous to their success in the course.

Sign In to comment