Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Syllabus Key to instructor student expectations and CHOICES!

I find the course syllabus as the key to many of the discussions posted: late assignments turned in, student motivation, etc. I am a student and found one of the best syllabus seen allowed adult student choices in work with each one have a point value and out of all the choices you needed 40 points to complete the work. The student could choose to write papers, find 5 websites that supported the material discussed, post online discussion similar to what we are doing here. The key was the student had a choice and each choice empowered the adult learner by choosing his or her best way of learning. I have also had a syllabus that was 35 pages long and took me two days to determine the expectations and when and what was due to the Professor.

I will make sure to high light important areas.

I use a syllabus that outlines the activities for the course on a day by day basis so the students are aware of when certain pieces of information will be worked on. I hand out and discuss the syllabus on the first day of class, as this affords me an opportunity to reinforce to the class the importance of their attendance. Basically, "if you miss a day, you miss alot". I also express to the class, on the first day, that I know they are adults and will be treated as such by me, so I will fully expect them to stay focussed and responsibly complete the assigned tasks just as would be expected of them in the working world. A clear syllabus helps them understand the direction the course will take, as well as help build their excitement for any upcoming material, and often helps them ponder the upcoming material so that they can formulate questions they may hope to have answered by the time we get to certain parts of the curriculum.

I really like the choices idea. I would, however, have the several choices but require than at least one type of choice be made throughout the class. For example,maybe one writing assingment, one oral presentation, and one demonstration so that a student can choose an assignment type that is more comfortable for them for at least one assignment but must make an effort to try an assignment type that is more challenging. I do think the choice idea will really help students gain some confidence and achieve some early success which will inspire them to become "braver" learners.

Hi Ann,
Early success is such a motivator when it comes to being a student. At my institution, we like to schedule brand new students for courses that are not extremely challenging the first grading period. This implementation at my institution has really created some brave learners, and it has helped build confidence as well.
Patricia

Sign In to comment