Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Mona,
What a caring and genuine approach to take toward your students. Some of our students do have a lot going on, and they try their very best to juggle it all. I am sure your students appreciate your caring and concern ways. I was touched just by reading your response. I take the same approach toward my students, and they truly appreciate it.
Patricia

I think that the “initial encounter” with students is important to lay down the law so to speak, but also to communicate through words and mannerisms that “I am human.” I have courses where 80% of the students turn in assignments, to include discussion board assignments (online), hours before the deadline. This is generally due to their time management as well as personal commitments beyond their involvement in the course. They plan to work on assignments the weekend that they are due and not before since they have other commitments. Students who are satisfied with mediocre performance normally have the same issue. They have so much time to work on assignments and shoot for “passing.” Motivating them is generally dealing with practical problems, not ego problems. I have found that conversing with them on time management issues and the necessity to set time aside in an academic office will allow them to do better in courses, but will also give them control over the structure of their lives. Education is not getting a grade or a certificate…..It is the learning that has taken place.

Hello George,
Fabulous points made! All it takes is some time management, and students can go from mediocre performance to excellent performance. There are some people that will just settle for less no matter what.
Patricia

I also have had the exact same question, especially last quarter. I had a student who despite her potential missed several assignments, and several class meetings and proceded to tell me that she was okay with failing. I was aghast to say the least.

Through out the quarter, I remind the students how intelligent that they are and continually encourage them via e-mail or through assignment feedback. It is just disheartening that there are still those that seem to choose to disengage.

I have seen this behavior in my class, but frankly I am more troubled by the students that won't accept anything less than 100% of the points for the course and become frustrated and less productive as soon as that mark is lost. I have had several students tell me that less than 100% is failing, in their minds. I dont feel like students should receive 100% grades, it means the course content is too easy. Have any of you had this problem, and what did you tell these overachievers?

At the end of each quarter, I spend a full class period going over individual grades. I'm amazed how student attitudes have changed over the years from being passionate about their abilities(grades) to becoming tolerant of poor performance.

Hi Terry,
Some students will simply settle for the bare minimum, and others will work diligently to make the best grades possible. It really depends on the student if they are hard working or not. I've learned that some students need to be pushed in order to show their full potential.
Patricia

I would speak individually to the student to find out what they consider a motivator. Then ask what they think will be their motivator when they join the work force.

Sign In to comment