Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students who are content with receiving a lower grade

How do you motivate students who are content to receive a mediocre grade...simply because of attendance issues.....
This can be very frustrating when you see the potential ...if only they applied themselves...

Hi Marilyne,
We have a strict attendance policy at my institution. If a student misses more than eight clock hours, the student is withdrawn from the course, therefore most students make it a point to attend class. I would simply talk to the student privately to make it known to the student his or her potential. I would then act as this student's biggest cheerleader. STAY ON the student, do not let the student settle for less.
Patricia

I encourage the student by letting him know that I see a great potential in him & that I will be there to help him achieve that potential.

Hi Andy,
There are some students I will not accept B work from, and there are other students that I am thrilled for because they finally made a B. You must know your students in order to determine their potential level.
Patricia

I try to compliment them on what they do right, and sometimes they keep doing it right because they like the attention.

Hi Sarah,
Great pyschology to use when students are content with receiving a lower grade. Hopefully, the student will love receiving higher grades and will make this a normal practice. We as educators, must encourage our students at all times.
Patricia

My school asks me to email those who are missing and I go out of my way to call them if they have missed a couple of classes. I've found students really respond if you make an effort to reach them and pay attention. Sometimes just listening to their problems makes them feel that an additional effort is appreciated and worth the effort.

Hello Richard,
My institution requires that a sheet is filled out listing all students that are out in the 10:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. classes because 10:00 a.m. will cover the entire day student boddy and 6:00 p.m. will cover the entire evening student body. Instructors are required to call the students that are absent, if they do not call in.
It is a good retention tool. Also, if the student doesn't call in they are reprimanded as follows:
1st offense-Written warning placed in academic file
2nd offense-suspended for one day; all work due or done on the day of the suspension will result into a grade of "0."
Patricia

See this in each class. Remind them employers will possibly be looking at their grades

Hi Robert,
I agree, you do see this in each class. I have been in education for nearly 20 years, and I have come to realize employers are more so concerned about attendance, punctuality, attitude, loyal, dependability, etc., more so than grades.
Patricia

I try to learn their names and something about them as soon as possible. I will strike up conversation with students who are quiet or shy. If students feel a personal connection to an instructor, they won't want to let him or her down by not turning in assignments.

I have seen a lot of really good students who are content with lower grade levels that have a lot more to offer and recive a higher grade.It maybe they have to much on there plate to applie themselves totally to the class you are teaching. Another class may demand more out of them just to pass and yours is set up that less effort is required to recieve there passing grade thus less effort in your class from this student. He would like to pass all class so he might be using time mangement to his best. A passing grade in all classes with out higher grades he is capabile of scoring.

Hi Bruce,
Nothing aggravates me more than to have a bright student that does not work to his/her fullest potential level. There are some people in the world that will truly settle for less--this saddens me. I try every thing in my power to encourage all of my students to work to their fullest potential.
Patricia

Hello Marilyne. I find that some of our students are not lazy they are just busy. Our program is 6 hours a day, 5 days a week, and 12 months long. The program allows students to get out in a short period of time but they pay the price when it comes to academics sometimes. Attendance is limited to only 20% allowed to be missed so they must attend. Life issues are a real factor. Any suggestions?

Remind them employers will possibly be looking at their grades

While I also have students who are very busy, there is no denying that there are some who simply want to sit in a chair, have subject matter flow over them so they can hang on to the minimum needed for them to barely pass the class. There purpose is not to learn but simply to get graduated.

I found this working at a state university as well. It was as if the students simply wanted a piece of paper (degree) so they could make more money. I guess the best cure for this would be to focus on what the knowledge we are conveying can do for them in the day to day of their newly chosen profession and how a lack of this knowledge can be detrimental to find a good position in the industry.

I don't know how relevant this may be in your industry but in the school I work in, the persons who will hire these students would be more interested in their knowledeg and skills than their grades. I have had employers tell me point blank they don't care about GPA. They find some with high GPA's lack practical skills so they cannot be used, while others who may be less academically inclined may have excellent skills and potential.

Also, if we push a point which may not be the most correct, we run the risk of having our students think we are telling them untruths simply to get them to do what we want. If they lose trust in us because of something like this, the battle is lost.

Hi Richard,
I preach that GPA is not the most important factor to prospective employers. It is most important for students to be able to perform at an acceptable skill level by the employer, and the student must be knowledgable in the particular area.
Patricia

Hello Richard,
There are some students that are more interested in getting the piece of paper (degree), and they can care less if they learn anything as long as they get that degree. How sad!
Patricia

Many students whose absences adversely affect their grade are often those that are beginning their career, thus working and going to school at the same time. Speaking with the student, expressing interest in his/her job in the field studied is a great start. By recognizing that the student is taking the steps toward getting pratical experience and commending him/her for it, I begin to develop a trust and role of mentor. Continually asking "How's work?, What is on the tasting menu?. . .," shows my student that I am interested in his success. Upon returning to class the next day, I will approach the student (individually) and let him know that I and his fellow students missed him yesterday. This acknowledgement helps make the student feel noticed and important to the class. It may not help the attendance issues but the student will contact me when he can't make it and also is very conscientious to complete all assignments. The student may not be in class everyday, but he does try his best.

Sign In to comment