Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Stressing Out

Career schools' expectations for the instructors are different from that of non-career schools. Career school instructors have to balance so many things. Things such as getting good instructor surveys and at the same time manage the behaviors of undisciplined students. Then there is attrition. Many students feel that they should be spoon fed their educations just because they are paying tuition. Entering into school is a big step for many students and many think that they have arrived. What they haven't accepted is the fact that they can get an education but if they maintain the same negative behaviors, attitudes and work ethics they will not be successful in the workforce. They may have a hard time getting hire. All of these scenarios can cause instructors to experience on going stress.

there is a huge amount of pressure that goes along with being a career school educator. All you can do is try to prioritize your goals.

Yes I agree 100%.
I have been teaching in a career school for 10 years now.I love the challenge, but have learned to "leave it all at work" is my best advice. I set aside time at home for work related project. I give myself a time limit so that I can enjoy my time away from work & no let stress get the best of me. I am better at my job/ work & in my family life.

Sounds like a great philosophy and approach Christin! Many instructors have this philosophy but very few are actually able to leave work at work. It's often hard for instructors to disengage at the end of the day.

I agree Christin! Knowing how to "leave it all at work" is a challenge but will keep the stress low. It's like running a race. Go hard, keep your eyes on the prize, give it 100% and then call it a day. Then you go home to what really counts, your family.

Sign In to comment