Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Avoid Essay Questions & Manually Graded Test & Exams

When you avoid giving essay, and manually graded test, it will automatically free up a great deal of your time, as well as relieve some of the stress that you are experiencing. Try it!! and I am certain that you will love it!! I do.

Scantron test have their place, but when you mix up Scantron test with essay and short answer questions you can get a better idea of the classes understanding of the delivered material. Adjustments can be made. Questions and discussions can be opened up because you understand the view point of the student. I find this enlivens the class discussion with the opportunity for that ah ha moment.

Albert, So true. Various testing formats test knowledge differently. Efficiency isn't the only metric we should be driving toward when we design our exams.

Dr. Melissa Read

Albert, So true. Various testing formats test knowledge differently. Efficiency isn't the only metric we should be driving toward when we design our exams.

Dr. Melissa Read

This isn't a topic I had ever thought much about but it definitely makes sense that it would save much more time to avoid using essay questions unless they are necessary

I absolutely love scantron test. You can make them matching, multiple choice and even true/false. I don't like essay test because it takes too long to grade, especially when you have a large class, and also every students penmanship is not the best.

Not only is penmanship an issue but most of the essay answer would be just rambling and a waste of both mine and the students time. I believe if you/the student knows the answer that is enough for me.

I agree mixing up scantron tests with essay and short answer tests allow you to fully assess properly the students understanding of the material.
Mariann Urbancsik,BSRN

Not all students are good at essay questions or testing. Varying the testing styles to include multiple choice, true/false, matching and a few essay questions; gives us a better example of how our students are obtaining the information they are receiving.

Varying the students testing styles also allow different students multiple opportunities to succeed in testing.

scantrons can eliminate the strenuous task of grading manually test and exams. Now you may have time to actually focus more on tutoring time

I like to do a combination of questions because some do better with essay while others do better with true/false or multiple choice. I like having match up boxes with definitions too. Using multiple questions feels fair to me and addresses all the various learning styles of the students.

I agree! Multiple choice has the best solution for me ,time management wise for large classes. It has been my way for years. Short essay questions have only been administered for the students that need extra points and who feel that they are not good test takers.

I agree with you. Our school requires that we give essay questions also to get a better understanding of the studetns critical thinking.

I disagree. Exams do not really make you aware of what the student has learned in your class. Essay questions and responses force them to think critically.

Sign In to comment